Beachworms In Winter

Mondo Rock

For the umpteenth season in a row I have once again found that I am unable to raise any beachworms now that the winter months are here. The occasional tiny fellow pops his head up to say hi, but beaches that in summer would produce hundreds of worms now taunt me with a flat, featureless mirror in each wash back from the stink-bag.

Given that I find it difficult to believe that beachworms are able to migrate any significant distance my thoughts/theories on the lack of winter beachwoms are as follows:

Theory 1: in winter beachworms cannot tolerate the cold temperature in the semi-dry sand at the water'e edge and therefore move to actually live underwater in the sandbars and gutters of the beach. They dont go far, but they move out into the water where standard worm-catching techniques are not effective. I have actually tried worming out on a sandbar during a low tide in summer (after seeing an old fella doing it) and managed to raise a couple even though the sand bar was always covered by at least an inch or two of water, but haven't yet tried this in winter to test this theory.

Theory 2: beachworms are an annual creature, i.e. they all die at the end of summer leaving eggs to incubate in the sand until spring when they hatch and once again begin to roam the beach. There is some anectodal evidence to suggest that late season worms are bigger than early season ones, but really this proves nothing.

Theory 3: beachworms simply lay dormant in winter months and don't come back to play until it gets warmer.

Does anyone know anything about this, or share any of my theories?

Edited by Mondo

For the umpteenth season in a row I have once again found that I am unable to raise any beachworms now that the winter months are here. The occasional tiny fellow pops his head up to say hi, but beaches that in summer would produce hundreds of worms now taunt me with a flat, featureless mirror in each wash back from the stink-bag.

Given that I find it difficult to believe that beachworms are able to migrate any significant distance my thoughts/theories on the lack of winter beachwoms are as follows:

Theory 1: in winter beachworms cannot tolerate the cold temperature in the semi-dry sand at the water'e edge and therefore move to actually live underwater in the sandbars and gutters of the beach. They dont go far, but they move out into the water where standard worm-catching techniques are not effective. I have actually tried worming out on a sandbar during a low tide in summer (after seeing an old fella doing it) and managed to raise a couple even though the sand bar was always covered by at least an inch or two of water, but haven't yet tried this in winter to test this theory.

Theory 2: beachworms are an annual creature, i.e. they all die at the end of summer leaving eggs to incubate in the sand until spring when they hatch and once again begin to roam the beach. There is some anectodal evidence to suggest that late season worms are bigger than early season ones, but really this proves nothing.

Theory 3: beachworms simply lay dormant in winter months and don't come back to play until it gets warmer.

Does anyone know anything about this, or share any of my theories?

Hi Mondo, I've found in the winter they do not like wind of any kind.So you are better worming when the wind is at it's least.Also you can try worming higher in the tide,Maybe one to two hours after high tide. and down for a couple of hours. I have good sucess with this method,as i think the waves work up and down with more frequency,and the worms are normally more active, and once the waves settle down as the tide gets lower,they can get very wary.

Hope this can help you in some way. Lawrie.

Hi Mondo

I find they do 'migrate' a bit - an area that was very productive in Summer may be less so in Winter. Also, that one area may have been well & truly 'worked over' well! Try another area of the beach, concentrating on what I call the 'groins'. When approaching the beach from the dunes, scan the whole area for the slight 'bumps' that extend out to the water, in betweeen the flat expansive areas. Most folk concentrate on the flat bits - I go for the bumps & are rarely disappointed.

Good luck - patience is a virtue that helps get the worm. Sometimes they are on the chew, sometimes not!

Thanks Lawrie and Roberta

If I am reading both your posts correctly then you are saying that you are able to raise beachworms in winter, and that you catch them through the normal 'swish bag in the wash' method.

Maybe I have just been unlucky or something. :wacko:

If I am reading both your posts correctly then you are saying that you are able to raise beachworms in winter, and that you catch them through the normal 'swish bag in the wash' method.

Maybe I have just been unlucky or something. :wacko:

Yes Mondo.We catch worms in the winter and are usually better quality worms but are fewer.in number.We worm 7mile near forster at the pines. and do ok.also tuncurry beach can be ok at times as well.What do you use as a stink bait. I find a stingray or jewie head very good.and the fresher the better.tell me where you go worming.I personally think worming is the best part of going fishing.

Good luck Mondo.

Hi Mondo

Absolutely - beach worms are available all year! As Lawrie says, only the quantity & (I find) the time taken to catch them changes. If there is red weed in the water, they can be very difficult to entice as they seem to gorge themselves on it. I have only ever not got any worms once! Sometimes (not often, luckily) I can be worming for 1/2hr before spotting one - but once you find one, there are usually more. Hang in for another 10 mins & they could well come on the chew. There have been some real stump pullers on Seven Mile (Forster) and can be a challenge to pull. Even a pillie on your hook will bring them up (as you retrieve your line from the surf!) For this reason, I always have my worm pliers with me (arthritis in the hands doesn't allow me to do them manually! Darn it.) So long as the beach is gently sloping & the incoming tide not too rough, you should be able to get them at any time, really - just always be aware of incoming waves. The out tide is usually the better and easier time to do it. Make sure you are sweeping your stink up at the top of the wave on the beach and scan the whole area in front, right down to the water. This means you will be going forward & backward as some waves come up the beach further. Surprising how many pop their heads up behind you if you are down in the water!

Like Lawrie, I enjoy worming as much as my fishing - sometimes more so! You really only need a couple to test the water. A few more are a bonus.

Cheers, Roberta

Thanks again guys - I obviously just need to be a bit more persistent.

Lawrie - to answer your questions:

• I almost always use pilchards in a stocking as my stink bait. I rarely bother with a big swish bag as (at least in summer) it is usually unnecessary. Perhaps this is something I should change to adapt to the winter conditions.
  • I usually worm a specific beach in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney (which I won't publicly name for obvious reasons) and find it to be very productive in Summer. I also worm Putty Beach at Kilcare when I get up there for the weekend.

I also happen to agree that worming is often just as much fun as the fishing that follows it - especially when you do battle with a really big mutha.

Roberta - some good advice in there, thanks again.

Will let you know how I go!!

• I almost always use pilchards in a stocking as my stink bait. I rarely bother with a big swish bag as (at least in summer) it is usually unnecessary. Perhaps this is something I should change to adapt to the winter conditions.
  • I usually worm a specific beach in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney (which I won't publicly name for obvious reasons) and find it to be very productive in Summer. I also worm Putty Beach at Kilcare when I get up there for the weekend.

I also happen to agree that worming is often just as much fun as the fishing that follows it - especially when you do battle with a really big mutha.

Roberta must have my problem . artharitis in the hands and those pliers are a must for me. and that red weed is a major problem ,it buggers up the worms as well, they go soft and don't freeze at all well.I have a spike made of stainless round bar with a t piece welded across the top and a half chain link welded under the top where i tie a piece of thin rope and at the end i tie my stink bait. and you push this down in the sand and as the waves wash it about, it gives you much more freedom to chase your worms. then all you have to do is move the spike every now and then.i'll take a photo to-morrow and show you it .some one can make you one up.

Lawrie

Monds ,

One of the Best is stingray flaps , the stuff keeps forever and the woims lurve it .

Pippies are xcellent as well .

But just about anything will do , preferably fresh is best.

And even with advanced arthritis , Lozza can pull 10 worms to most peoples one .

He is the only person who perservered with me , and now I can catch a few of My own.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

Hi Mondo

My method is really simple - I just tie a piece of string to the handle of my pliers & have a slip knot on the other end to which I attach (usually) a mullet - the slip knot goes around the head & tightens up under the gills of the mullet & rarely comes off (flattie carcasses are good too, put the slip knot thru the mouth & out the gills & put the pliers thru the noose & tighten.) I slice the gut area to allow some more 'flavour' out. I always face the ocean & keep regular watch on the incoming waves. I don't feel you can do that as safely when standing side on to the beach. When I locate a worm, I approach it & get it roughly between both feet, so you have an idea of where it will pop up with the next wave - you are also very balanced - it should be below your nose, so you are not reaching away for it. I hold the mullet in place by treading on the rope, usually with the mullet between my feet (tight up against my left foot) so it is still sending scent to the worm. Easy! When I've finished worming, I just put the whole lot in a plastic shopping bag & it goes into the fish freezer ready for the next go (pliers & all.) Good luck on your next hunting expedition!

Roberta