Quintrex Fishabout - Your Thoughts?

ando

Hi All,

In the next few months I will be looking to buy my first boat. Due to my budget, it will be second hand. I have seen pictures on the web (trading post) of the Quintrex Fishabout MkII 4.2m and think they look good and would suit my needs. How old are these boats?

I'd imagine most of my fishing would be done inshore and i like the idea of having the windscreen and front steering. The hull must be aluminium. The engine would need to be in good condition but i don't mind about speed/power.

What are your thoughts on these boats? What would u recommend? My budget would be anything up to $6000. I thought i would get a list of your recommendations so that i know what to look for when it's time to purchase.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ando

They are a good boat for the money, but don't rush into buying the first boat you see, look around there are some good buys out there,

My mate bought a Bermuda 2001 4.2 with a 2001 40hp merc on it for $7,000.

And make sure you get a mechanic to check the motor out before you buy

You cant go wrong with a MKII Fishabout, great old boat. I had one for a long time and it served me well. Took it as far as Montague Island ( on a good day ). The bloke who owned it before me used it as a dive charter boat and went to the island regularly.

Like Netic said check the motor, its more likely to be an issue rather than the hull.

Guest the doc

Mate if you have $6000 why not go just a little bit bigger.A 4.5 quintrex lazabout with say a 50 or 60hp motor i had one and it adds that little bit extra.Width,length,depth,power to get home if you need it and you can go that little bit further without worry.Similar in design flared bow etc just my opinion but was very happy with mine so good luck with whatever you decide upon.

The Doc

Guest jerkbait2006

Mate if you have $6000 why not go just a little bit bigger.A 4.5 quintrex lazabout with say a 50 or 60hp motor i had one and it adds that little bit extra.Width,length,depth,power to get home if you need it and you can go that little bit further without worry.Similar in design flared bow etc just my opinion but was very happy with mine so good luck with whatever you decide upon.

The Doc

There is a cheap Allison with a 200hp Merc on it for sale soon, keep your eyes peeled. Supposedly a pro breamer blew up the Merc, and it needs rebuilding but too expensive to fix. If your handy its all yours.