Broken Bay 28/7/06

harold

Well, i read yesterday there had been Salmon running off the heads so i figured they must be working their way up the coast so i took a sneaky morning off to see if they had found their way into Broken Bay. Got on the boat at Akuna Bay at 8am and took off for east of Lion Island. I was a bit surprised that the swell was quite strong out there today and fortunately the Signature just powered through the stuff like it wasnt there. Got about 1 km east of Lion and pulled out the rods when suddenly i could see the water was alive around me. Grabbed a rod and immediately tangled it as i was in such a frenzy (its an old age thing) so threw that aside and grabbed another one with a silver lure. Tossed it out and within 20 seconds i was on, and couldnt this thing fight. I was on 4lb fireline and a very light spinning road and reel, took about 5 minutes to get it to the boat and net it. Yes sir, it was a 60 cm Salmon and it had fought its guts out. I repeated this until i had 4 fish in the boat and , knowing Salmon are only good if you bleed them and eat them that day, i pulled the pin and turned back home. The whole fishing experience took less than 30 minutes and i honestly could have caught dozens and dozens of them, but what is the point? Better to leave some for the next guy.

I know some of you dont like eating Salmon but my wife is from Hong Kong and can she cook these things! We gave 3 of the fish to our neighbours and kept one and tonight we will be having a fish meal that is guaranteed to make anyones mouth water.

Guys get out there, it is the biggest school of Salmon i have ever seen and i had it to myself until a fishing guide brought his 3 passengers along. Took a pic of one at home but it is in the camera at home, will post it tonight. My guess is they all went about 3 kgs and were 60 to 65 cms in length.

Guest Reely

What time were the Salmon busting up? We got a 2.5kg model amd 5 1kg Tailor trolling the washes next to the Steel. Anchored up and got a School Shark about 1m long, a 40cm Flathead and 2 Wobbegongs, i think we saw you scooting around the Steel, i think that was you. Nice day out there, with a NICE rolling swell. No jews thats what we wanted, but anyway next time, could not get bait,(squid) from source, hence trolling up the pelagics to use as bait for the jews. Next time.

Reely, i did notice a sole boat at F&S and i did wave on the return. I guess i went past you about 0825 going out and back about 0910. I wasnt out there very long. My boat is a white Signature 702L with a 225 EFI Merc on the back, Dark blue bimini.

As for the swell, i have been fishing all my life but this morning was the first time i started to feel crook. Just ate the fish which was baked in a jacket of herbs and spices. Yum

That was a very entertaining post to read Harold & it sounds like an adventure! :thumbup:

Well done on the fish mate. Top fun on the light gear.

If it was calmer I would've been tempted for some c & r but not in that swell!!

Cheers,

Grant.

mate i have to agree to disagree here i believe you have done the fish a service and left them once you captured enough for yourself,

but mate i truly believe its not all about serching for food, where if i was in that situation i would have tried different things to help me in the future when times are tough?

i also put a lot of preperation into my sessions and really enjoy my time on the water regardless of catching hope you don t take this the wrong way just my 2 cents worth. :1fishing1:

Im now ready for my dig on the river let you boys know how things turn out tomorrow

Edited by James

No issue with what you say James, the world is all about different people with different perspectives.

Haraka, Mimi baked this fish for about 2 hours on a very very low heat, prior to cooking she made a gluggy concotion of herbs and spices which she covered the fish in, it stuck like a 5 cm skin and when it was cooked she broke the skin off. Was better than nice.