Northen Pike By Cane Pole

kbark

hey raiders,

been away for a month visiting friends in north america. we spent a day on the water last month trolling "terminator" lures through 2-6 feet of water on puckaway lake in wisconsin. 5 guys in 16 foot tinny each with a 12 foot cane pole with 12 feet of 40lb braid tied to the tip (no reel necessary). very old school, except for the terminators. we're used to people staring in disbelief.

my mate has been doing this for years but that day (the one day i've been there in 4 years) was unprecedented. we caught 50 northern pike with most of them being over 2 kg and many over 3. this one in the pick was the largest at 4kg and without a reel to play with it's not easy to get them in the boat at that size.

anyone who fishes these will know how hard they hit baits and lures. a true predator...esox lucious..."water wolf" is their scientific name. the biggest ones get to 20-25 kgs but anything over 3kgs is a good fish. a couple of times we got busted off and should have dropped the poles in the water and chased them around the lake but the pike hit too hard and too fast and pulled the hooks.

as you can see, i was enjoying myself.

kit

post-1521-1154558524_thumb.jpg

Edited by kbark

Great read and an action packed day. Sounds as though you had a top day.

Certainly a diffrent approach to fishing. Do many of the locals use that technique?

Can I also ask are they a popular eating fish or more sought for the sport?

Cheers

Martin

hey raiders,

been away for a month visiting friends in north america. we spent a day on the water last month trolling "terminator" lures through 2-6 feet of water on puckaway lake in wisconsin. 5 guys in 16 foot tinny each with a 12 foot cane pole with 12 feet of 40lb braid tied to the tip (no reel necessary). very old school, except for the terminators. we're used to people staring in disbelief.

my mate has been doing this for years but that day (the one day i've been there in 4 years) was unprecedented. we caught 50 northern pike with most of them being over 2 kg and many over 3. this one in the pick was the largest at 4kg and without a reel to play with it's not easy to get them in the boat at that size.

anyone who fishes these will know how hard they hit baits and lures. a true predator...esox lucious..."water wolf" is their scientific name. the biggest ones get to 20-25 kgs but anything over 3kgs is a good fish. a couple of times we got busted off and should have dropped the poles in the water and chased them around the lake but the pike hit too hard and too fast and pulled the hooks.

as you can see, i was enjoying myself.

kit

Nice work there Kit ,I would like to put that Northern Pike in the Fishraider record section :biggrin2:

Did you get a rough measurement ??

Cheers Stewy

this method is heaps of fun. the sound of 40lb braid cutting through the water is unreal. almost no one uses this method is anymore but no else was catching fish that day.

the other great thing was that the pike hit the lure only 12 feet from the boat (the cane poles are 12 foot). if you were paying attention you see them strike most of the time. fantastic.

Great read and an action packed day. Sounds as though you had a top day.

Certainly a diffrent approach to fishing. Do many of the locals use that technique?

Can I also ask are they a popular eating fish or more sought for the sport?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

I grew up in Alberta, Canada and used to do a lot of pike fishing, we used to use medium size spinning gear say as per flatheads. Lures that worked were metal slices (anything silver and flashy) and minnow imitations, Rapalas were very popular. Pike are ambush feeders and sit in the weeds then strike passsing fish, they have a mean set of choppers. They aren't highly rated as table fish but some guys love them pan fried in butter.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Martin

I grew up in Alberta, Canada and used to do a lot of pike fishing, we used to use medium size spinning gear say as per flatheads. Lures that worked were metal slices (anything silver and flashy) and minnow imitations, Rapalas were very popular. Pike are ambush feeders and sit in the weeds then strike passsing fish, they have a mean set of choppers. They aren't highly rated as table fish but some guys love them pan fried in butter.

Cheers

Chris

yep...they strike almost anything that moves. we were using mid-water spinner baits with metal willows above a white skirt.

i think the pike are pretty good to eat, though we didn't keep any that day. the biggest hassle is that they're very boney if not filleted properly. great fun to catch.