90 Or 115 Etec On Poly 5.30

Pirate Pete Tas

I am no expert, but I would have thought 90hp would be plenty to fish and have fun with the kids on a 5.3m centre console.

I would expect you would know the extra over cost to go from 90hp to 115hp and know what the boat is rated re hp.

I had a 4.7m fibreglass boat with 60hp and that was perfect, now I have a 5.5 Aussie Whaler with 115hp and that is plenty of hp. My current boat is very heavy with a hull weight of 880Kg no fuel, so I assume 90hp on a 5.3m boat will do the trick.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers

Martin

I am no expert, but I would have thought 90hp would be plenty to fish and have fun with the kids on a 5.3m centre console.

I would expect you would know the extra over cost to go from 90hp to 115hp and know what the boat is rated re hp.

I had a 4.7m fibreglass boat with 60hp and that was perfect, now I have a 5.5 Aussie Whaler with 115hp and that is plenty of hp. My current boat is very heavy with a hull weight of 880Kg no fuel, so I assume 90hp on a 5.3m boat will do the trick.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers

Martin

Hi,

i read a review in a trailerboat mag of the 5.30, and they said they 90hp two stroke was terribly undergunned..given that the hull weighs over 700kg....i'd definately go the 115!

Hi Martin

I have only got a quote so far for the boat with a 115Hp Etec but the boat is rated for 90 to 115Hp. In the latest F & B Mag the author seemed to think it could do with a 140.

The hull weighs in at 700Kg + motor 167Kg (115Hp Etec)

Your tag at the bottom suggests that you have a poly Sammy. What type is it??

Edited by Pirate Pete Tas

Hi Martin

I have only got a quote so far for the boat with a 115Hp Etec but the boat is rated for 90 to 115Hp. In the latest F & B Mag the author seemed to think it could do with a 140.

The hull weighs in at 700Kg + motor 167Kg (115Hp Etec)

Your tag at the bottom suggests that you have a poly Sammy. What type is it??

I have a 4.55 Quickcraft with a yamaha 50hp

Hi and :1welcomeani: Pete.

I am not sure if you have checked this site but there are a couple of reviews from Australian Power Boat mag and Boat Fishing mag (June/July 06) that may be of interest. I am sure the experts on here will help you out also.

http://www.polycraft.com.au/530_centre_console.html

BY the way, nice choice love the polys :biggrin2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi Pete

By coincedence I just bought the Fisherman & Boatowner Mag July issue simply because the boat you mention is on the front cover and I wouldn't mind owning one of these!! anyhow there is a three page read of their test of the boat and it would more than answere your questions, for the price she looks like a good outside boat if that is what your after.

Cheers

Hi Pete

If the Hull weights 700kg then I would go the 115hp. I would have thought she may have been lighter.

How much fuel do they carry?

My 5.5 Aussie Whaler boat is a cathedral hull with cabin and has a hard top. Holds 140l fuel. She planes easy but is a heavy boat when you add the 2 ton of fishing gear. :biggrin2:

That’s a lot of weight at 5.3m in a mono hull and you will want to get the boat up on the plane at lower revs to cruise.

I only hear great things about the Etec. It’s the brand of motor I would.

Read the articles and ring a few other dealers to get their view.

I’m sure some of our Polycraft owners will offer there experience also.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Mrsswordfisherman

Thanks for that. I have read both of those reports alreay and am looking for some more inof on them.

Hi Dorado 2

Yes its a good write up, they seem to be very sea worthy boats but his comment there about maybe needing a 140Hp seemed to be a bit over the top thats why I started this post.

Hi Martin

They have a 130L tank.

I have run the 5.3 in the bowrider style with a Suzuki four stroke 90 and a 5.3 center console with a Suzuki four stroke 115, both went very well. I was very pleasantly suprised by the performance of the 90 (we suspected it may be undergunned before we ran it), we ran it 5 up and it ran beatifully, very quick onto the plane and plenty through the mid range. I have read the articles mentioned and can't comment on how those other brands of motors performed, but I can assure you the Suzuki 90HP on the 5.3 CC is plenty.

Cheers,

Ben.

PS Mods, hope this is not out of line, just trying to provide helpful information only, since I am in a position to know exactly how these boats go (and I'm guessing Pirate Pete is in Tassie anyways).

I have run the 5.3 in the bowrider style with a Suzuki four stroke 90 and a 5.3 center console with a Suzuki four stroke 115, both went very well. I was very pleasantly suprised by the performance of the 90 (we suspected it may be undergunned before we ran it), we ran it 5 up and it ran beatifully, very quick onto the plane and plenty through the mid range. I have read the articles mentioned and can't comment on how those other brands of motors performed, but I can assure you the Suzuki 90HP on the 5.3 CC is plenty.

Cheers,

Ben.

PS Mods, hope this is not out of line, just trying to provide helpful information only, since I am in a position to know exactly how these boats go (and I'm guessing Pirate Pete is in Tassie anyways).

Hi Ben,

Thank you for providing that information, your expertise is most welcome here and nice to see you helping out fellow raiders :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi Ben.

I have posted a simular post on 7 other forums and so far I have only had 4 replys from people who have ever been in a 5.30 So I am very intrested into your veiws about motor sizes.

Yes I live in Tassie so if you are a dealer & the mods dont like you trying to push your product I know you arent either of the 2 Tassie agents & there fore you wont be selling to me any way so I hope you can fill free to give me more detail if you can.

I would say the 90 would be fine especially if you go ETEC which I highly recommend. Even at 700 kg it will still fly. Saying that if your unsure go the bigger motor it cant hurt !

If your gunnna pulls kids on tubes or ski's stick with a 2 stroke which is why i say go ETEC.

ENJOY !

Edited by Grantm

Hi Pete,

Just saw your post on the Poly site, where Eric has answered your question aswell, I'm from the same Sydney dealership as him.

Just to clarify, the Suzuki has the biggest displacement at 1950cc, whereas the Honda is 1590cc, the Merc and Yammy 4-strokes (same powerhead) are 1596cc and the ETEC is 1296cc. So when I say a 90HP is great on this hull, I am specifically talking about the Suzuki which has significantly greater displacement - I haven't tried any of the other motor brands I have mentioned on the Poly 5.3, or the Tohatsu 90HP 2-stroke mentioned in F&B magazine as being underpowered.

As the old saying goes - there is no replacement for displacement...

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by wakd

Just for the sake of discussion, although the displacement is higher on the Suzi's they are still all 90hp engines although with differing torque curves and pwerbands.

4 strokes by nature require extra displacement to get the same power as a lower displacement 2 stroke due to its design characteristics. The 2 st should be much hotter out of the hole.

The comparible ETEC is also about 50kg lighter and is the only negative with the Suzi's.

Dont get me wrong the Suzi 4 st is without doubt the pick of the 4 strokes. Geez I own a 60 4st Johno which if anyone didnt know is a rebaged Suzuki and I looooove it !

Im just pointing out that each motor has its good points, and the decision should be based on application and what you want to do. For eg skiing really is better on a 2 st due to the acceleration response the two st gives. Both motors mentioned are first class either way.

Discussions on 4's and 2's always and up in a specification pissing contest. Horses for courses I say ! After all your original question was not about which brand but what size and if at the end of the day your not sure, just go with the biggest you can either afford or fit and you wont be dissapointed.

:thumbup:

I've got my E-Tec 115 last Friday and it shoots out of the hole like a friggin rocket!!!!!!!!!! I have just got the stock standard prop on her and may look at reproping it later after some advice. I was up in the air on wether to go 90 or 115 too. My boat is 5.1m plate alloy, 120l fuel tank and 100ltr+ live well. I just thought the 115 being the V4 would do it a bit easier than the 90 3cyl especially if fully loaded up with gear. The damn thing is so quiet you have to listen for the idle and no smoke. If you wanted to tow anything (skiiers, biscuit etc) I would really doubt anything would be as quick out of the hole. As you can probably guess, it certainly comes highly recommended from me.

:beersmile: Stallo