Respraying Aluminium Boat

moonlitecreeper

hi all raiders a while ago a fellow raider was doing up his boat from scratch he mentioned that a fellow raider had painted it for him he even posted pics on post it was red if i remember rightly it was a awesome job both paintjob and finished project anyone know who did the painting or who owned the boat i would like to respray lower half of my boat ..i need a little info.....anyone

Crow from my knowledge spray painters prices vary from shop to shop.

A spray job can start from $450-$2000 and beyond.

Every job is different ,prep work,paint quality,single colour,two tone, graphics etc.

Make some phone call to get an idea.

Hazza

Crow from my knowledge spray painters prices vary from shop to shop.

A spray job can start from $450-$2000 and beyond.

Every job is different ,prep work,paint quality,single colour,two tone, graphics etc.

Make some phone call to get an idea.

Hazza

Thanks mate,

Its just a thought, you know how it is......... :wife::mad3: .....lol

Hi all,

I went to Spraycraft marine, up at Mount Kuringai near Berowra, a couple of weeks ago to get some work done to my 20 year old Quinny 4.2 tiller, and asked the question and he rekonds that it would cost $1800 to spray the top and the bottom of the boat in a off whitey cream colour, so if thats any indication let me know and Ill give you the fellas name and phone number.

They did a fantastic job on welding up the transom and remounting the winch my boat and trailer.

cheers,

mark

There is a lot of work involved in spraying the old Tinny, but you can do it yourself if you put the hard yards in.

As per usual its all about prep work. Me and my mate have done three starting with my old dehav offshore, then two quinnys. He has also done a few before me including his current Seafarer Ventura(glass boat). Is it worth it doing it yourself?.. Well we got a lot of satisfaction out of it and we did save quite a few bucks.

Im mainly the gofor..lol sanding get the beer or coffee and accessories dude, my mate does the spray painting.

But we enjoy the challenge of it!

Edited by twoducks

There is a lot of work involved in spraying the old Tinny, but you can do it yourself if you put the hard yards in.

As per usual its all about prep work. Me and my mate have done three starting with my old dehav offshore, then two quinnys. He has also done a few before me including his current Seafarer Ventura(glass boat). Is it worth it doing it yourself?.. Well we got a lot of satisfaction out of it and we did save quite a few bucks.

Im mainly the gofor..lol sanding get the beer or coffee and accessories dude, my mate does the spray painting.

But we enjoy the challenge of it!

Just roughly, I would have thought maybe to do the job its a lot of sanding, cleaning up, etch primer, 2 pac, top coat? Is that the basic process?

Just roughly, I would have thought maybe to do the job its a lot of sanding, cleaning up, etch primer, 2 pac, top coat? Is that the basic process?

Um yes there is alot of sanding involved, but then again how good a finish do you want?, You could do like we do and if the paint is not to bad just feather sand it you should only need etch primer if you sand back to bare metal, We have never used 2 pac yet..and you should have proper breathing gear for 2 pac

What do we use all purpose thinners, primer filler and Auto Paint!!

Remember you will scratch it first time out.. so is 2 Pac worth it..mmm for looks mabye but for fishos..nup...lol

Edited by twoducks

Hey mate,

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean 2 pac, Ive heard its a bit of a b*itch to bother with.

I was also mentioning etch primer as I'm most likely going to be painting a bare hull (if the plans in my head go according to plan).

I was thinking for a bare hull, give it a sand, clean it with some stuff I can't think of (prepsol I think???), etch prime and standard auto paint. A couple of clear coats afterwards maybe?

Abitfishy you have the right idea.

A bare hull is a good start to have.

The process is as follows

1)sand alloy down with abrasive paper grid 120-240(if air tools available use the wisar with 240-280)

2)clean the surface with wax and grease remover)

3)If fairing is needed apply resin based bog or high fill(not automotive stuff)

4)using a gravity fed spray gun (or pressure pot)with a 1.8 fluid tip ,apply your primer.

5)After curring(24 hours) sand back with 400grid then 800 grid wet .

6Apply paint with above mentioned guns but must use 1.4 fluid tip.

The various application with COB (clear over base) would be to apply base colour 2-3 coats.

Then hit it with 3-4 coats with a polyurethane based high solid clear.

I cant stress the importance of using polyurethane product in the marine application as it does not

have pores in it to allow salt to penatrate.

This is my method of applying paint others have there way.

Hazza

Try a high build primer (Wattyll has one that is very good that etches), then blow on your top coat........ there are additives for enamel that take it close to 2-pac if you dont want to go that way. The higher the primer build the easier the fairing.

Your primer is the most important bit, dont cut corners.

I used to sell marine paint in a former life, I found that its hard to beat a GOOD auto spraypainter..... but you have to give them the right info on the paint. Fairing a boat, particularily ally is hard work (hard to get paint to stick properly if you dont get it right).

So its going to get scratched........... a scratch on a good job looks better than a unscratched crap job!

Good luck with the project, dont cut corners cause it will cost you in the end!!!!!!!

Cheers

Mick

Just read Harry DZ's post............ he is well on the money.

I have seen pics of his work....... he knows what he is doing.

No easy way just the right way.

Thanks for the great tips guys. I've copied and pasted into my 'useful info' text document for later use!

One more bit of info that would be great - the standard white colour that tends to be used on quinnies, stacers etc - can you give us a name of one or two so we know what to order? (thinking of sticking to white)

abitfishy

Try a high build primer (Wattyll has one that is very good that etches), then blow on your top coat........ there are additives for enamel that take it close to 2-pac if you dont want to go that way. The higher the primer build the easier the fairing.

Your primer is the most important bit, dont cut corners.

I used to sell marine paint in a former life, I found that its hard to beat a GOOD auto spraypainter..... but you have to give them the right info on the paint. Fairing a boat, particularily ally is hard work (hard to get paint to stick properly if you dont get it right).

So its going to get scratched........... a scratch on a good job looks better than a unscratched crap job!

Good luck with the project, dont cut corners cause it will cost you in the end!!!!!!!

Cheers

Mick

Just read Harry DZ's post............ he is well on the money.

I have seen pics of his work....... he knows what he is doing.

No easy way just the right way.