Penn Spinfisher

pekingduck

G''day raiders,

After many many years of hard work, the anti reverse on my beloved Penn 8500 is starting to go.

It engages and disengages intermittently when pulling drag which is very annoying.

I have pretty bad track record when it comes to taking spinning reels apart and they never seem to be as smooth after I take them apart.

Now has something worn out and needs a new part or has something just gone loose inside?

Also with my lack of reel mechanics am I better off taking it somewhere for repairs or I am able to do it myself.

any ideas ?

cheers

pekingduck

Edited by pekingduck

the anti reverse is probably completely stuffed. I would take it to a shop for repair. Great thing about the spinfishers is that they just keep going... I've had my 8500ss for probably 5 years easy now and I've only replaced the drag knob with the newer penn slammer type.

Guest hottuna

Thanks Bashir.

in for repairs it is then. Might get them to upgrade the drag while I'm there.

cheers

Call anglers service central (penn service ctr) and send it to them in SA. The req`d parts is only $5 worth, a tiny hair like round spring. Unfortunatly in the last 3 yrs theres are alot of anti revs failing on 8500ss, ive had reels back 3 times. Tip: get used to fishing with both the anti reverse switches on, sure its noisier, but also stronger. Penn will not warrent unless both are used

dan

• 1 month later...

dan what do you mean by both, you mean the other switch?? I'm pretty sure my one is still silent with both switches on.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes it should be clicking with the bottom switch on. If not its busted.

If you listen closely on the xxxxxxxxxxx vid you can hear that dan clearly fishes with his on

dan