Casting Workshop

mrsswordfisherman

Rohit, Stewy, Chris, Ashwin and myself decided to test out a new sidecast rod for Ken A.

The object of the exercise was to make sure that the rod performed under a proper casting situation, without lineslap to the blank. This was a prototype made by Rohit as the first attempt was unsuccessful.

With Alveys, overheads, spinning tackle and flyrod in hand we went to the local park and put all the rods through their paces. In particular we were interested to see how far we could cast a 60 gm weight on the sidecast rod :1prop:

As Ash had never used a flyrod before, Stewy decided to give some tuition.

With a 100 mtre measuring tape we commenced firing the 60 gm weight in the direction of the horizon. One of us would run down and find the weight buried in the soft turf and take a measurement. To our glee we managed to cast 94 metres at our longest cast, averaging 85 metres. We had a small amount of lineslap and the stripper guide will be moved accordingly.

Ash brought along his Abu 7000 loaded with 30 lb braid for a few test casts as he was new to overhead casting and we are happy to report that he attained a measured distance of 74 metres on his longest cast. Adjustments were made to his reel to obtain maximum distance for him and he was very pleased with his results :biggrin2:

All in all a great morning at the park and we all learned something new.

post-869-1155041418_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041429_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041441_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041491_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041503_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041551_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041590_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041601_thumb.jpg

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Rohit, Stewy, Chris, Ashwin and myself decided to test out a new sidecast rod for Ken A.

The object of the exercise was to make sure that the rod performed under a proper casting situation, without lineslap to the blank. This was a prototype made by Rohit as the first attempt was unsuccessful.

With Alveys, overheads, spinning tackle and flyrod in hand we went to the local park and put all the rods through their paces. In particular we were interested to see how far we could cast a 60 gm weight on the sidecast rod :1prop:

As Ash had never used a flyrod before, Stewy decided to give some tuition.

With a 100 mtre measuring tape we commenced firing the 60 gm weight in the direction of the horizon. One of us would run down and find the weight buried in the soft turf and take a measurement. To our glee we managed to cast 94 metres at our longest cast, averaging 85 metres. We had a small amount of lineslap and the stripper guide will be moved accordingly.

Ash brought along his Abu 7000 loaded with 30 lb braid for a few test casts as he was new to overhead casting and we are happy to report that he attained a measured distance of 74 metres on his longest cast. Adjustments were made to his reel to obtain maximum distance for him and he was very pleased with his results :biggrin2:

All in all a great morning at the park and we all learned something new.

post-869-1155041418_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041429_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041441_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041491_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041503_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041551_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041590_thumb.jpg

post-869-1155041601_thumb.jpg

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Its good to see some work going in to casting ,where did you get together as iam also intrested in this ,Regards Leigh

Hi Leigh , :1welcomeani: to the site .

We just picked a local park where there was no risk of injury to anyone from our casting :biggrin2:

Those size weights could cause a lot of damage if all saftey issues are not looked at.

If we got enough members we could organise a casting day for beginners and teach them the basics to more advanced casting on all forms of tackle .

Cheers Stewy

you can count me in if you have another workshop for help or advice Regards Leigh

Guest madsmc

Sounds good to me Stewy. If the date fits in with the financial controller I will try to make it down for the day. :thumbup:

I'm keen to see exactly how far I can fly cast against that big tape measure. :biggrin2:

Shane

• 3 weeks later...

When out for a cast today on the grass to see how far thew would go with a bit of wind ,i used a spinning reel a daiwa 3 pice rod and 10 lbs fireline and 56 gams of lead , there was to much wind as it tended to push a belly in the line as the wind was coming not squaire but more across , this is the only good shot i got .

post-256-1157286088_thumb.jpg

regards Leigh

Edited by swordfisherman

all this cast stuff has made me want to go fishing :) im off to the park to belt a few raiders a long way (without hooks of cause)..... i would be interested in coming along to one of these..... how much does it cost ?

No charge mate, just bring a smile

The date will be the 23 September at a local park which will be posted up shortly .

I will try to be there Stewy, got it marked on the calendar. I have a new Loomis fly rod, and my dodgy casting skills, to test against the mighty tape measure. :biggrin2:

Shane