Soft Plastics For Trout

MrGenius

Guest lbgking

Can someone tell me what SP's work well for trout if any?

or

should i stick to the trusty tassie devils?

I was thinking maybe the small nymphs and insect type plastics or the 2" bass minnows and worms??

Cheers

Nathan

Pm troutboy. He's always a good source of info.

Gday MR GENIUS basically any of more commonly available soft plastics will work on trout the only thing I will recommend is that you stick to 2inch or smaller plastics and the lightest jighead you can cast . Most of my success has been using 2 inch atomic curl tail grubs,squidgie fish and 2 inch bass minnows,try to match the colours of the resident baitfish and use a jerky erratic type retrieve. I have also caught some nice brown trout using the plastics mentioned above but adding a small betts spin arm in gold , the spinning blade really seems to grab the trouts attention and then they see the soft plastic. Good luck cheers TROUTBOY :1fishing1:

Although most SPs will take trout, IMO you'll have a very hard time beating 3 inch bass minnows for lake fish and they're great in the streams too. Just stick to the natural colours and you can't go wrong. Fished deep over weedbeds or amongst the trees or anywhere else you find trout, these are deadly. Nymphs (especially sight casting or stream fishing), single tails, and shads will work too, but bass minnows rule.

Cheers

Col.

Never caught a trout on SPs, but I reckon the little crayfish imitations would work pretty well. As a kid, I caught trout on very small yabbies.

In the Berkley DVD, Mad Dog Royter caught a trout on a little crayfish which he cut down to resemble a mudeye ... :wacko:

I love using placcies for trout. I tend to use a variety of lures depending on the time of year, depth and clarity of water, and waterways (stream / dam etc)

I find that in places like thommo bass minnows work very well as do the good ol squidgy wriggler and small squidgy fish. I also like to use 3" eyeball tails as well as ecogear grass minnows.

In streams and the like I also use bass minoows on an average of 1/40 Oz jig. My second lure of choise would be 1" nymph closely followed by 2" hawgs. I have also had succes on 2" grubs but I mainly stick to the above confidence lures.

Good luck and i hope you get into 'em

Mitch