Kings And Salmon

namesay

Hey this is my first report !

Went out fishing this morning in the harbour with the little one. Went out looking for salmon. They were there around north head. Small stick baits worked great.caught half a dozen or so on 6lb line. By mid morning the bite had shut down.

Tried to catch some squid for kingies but got zilch for a couple of hours casting :05: I went into the lure bag and got out the sluggos. Went around all the ususal kingfish haunts to look for bait or the kingies on the sounder. Finally found both large amounts of bait and a few kingies on the sounder in middle harbour.

The kingfish were hanging deep-around 10-15 meters. Made up a carolina rig with the sluggos and sent them down deep. Caught a 7 kg fish third cast. Then another smaller fish. As it often happens they switched off the lures after a couple of fish.

Tried poppers and minnows but the school had gone off. Wished I had squid! but not a bad mornings fishing. Seems like the harbour is going gangbusters now that the pros have been kicked out.

Tired to put some photos up but couldn't....need help!

Cheers

Kelvin

Guest fishrunner

nice day out there namesay :thumbup:

7kg kingie out of middle harbour is a beauty, well done. Your young one wouldv'e had a smile all day after the sambos I'm sure :biggrin2:

cheers

I also got out amongst the salmon at nth head yesterday arvo. I was driving past Freshy headland on my way to geet my mail at Harbord and saw from there a massve dark smudge on the water with seagulls going berzerk at queensy bomby. the sea was still at that stage. I went back to work to get my boat and must have been on the water 40 mins after my sighting. I didnt quite get all the way around to the Qcliff bomby as the fish were boiling the water at the old murk at Nth head. I got there just before the NE blew up which made it wet and uncomfortable. Got 4 good fighting size salmon and dropped another 2. at first i didnt think there were going to take anything as i was throwing 6'' mullet style ptastic at them and after 10 casts hooked up. i changed to squdgie fish after that and the was more inviting as they we chasing them and only took about 5 casts to hook up, then swaped to pink squdgie fish and 2 fish in three throws with that. I know what i will be startng with next time. Left after it was geting very wet and sick with the NEster blowing hard into the rocks. was hard to pull away with the water boiling and hard to spook fish. You could drive straight into them and they would just slowly go about their business. I have a phone cam pic and will post it when i work it out later.

Edited by nrperry

To answer some of the questions from our fellow raiders-

Yes I do go fishing almost every wedensday. Used to fish Pittwater and northern beaches a lot but the harbour now fishes much better thanks to the pro ban. I still fish the northern beaches but mainly weekends. Always try to take one of my 2 little boys out with me. Got to get them young!

As for the place where these kingfish are in middle harbour- In winter you are better off looking for them in the upper reaches. There are resident fish there all year long. Just find the bait and fish around them. THey move around a lot but their movements are very predictable. Sooner or later you will hit pay dirt. I caught my couple of kings around pickering point. Mid week is best as weekends there is too much boat traffic.

Pittwater used to have a HUGE population of resident fish until a few pros wiped them out late last year. Took several tonnes of kingfish. I just hope they are left alone this summer so they can hopfully provide some action next winter.

As for the size of these fish you'll be surprised how big some of these "estuary" kingfish get. Have a look at #%$%^&(*'s kingfish DVD and you'll see that he catches some of the biggest fish in the estuary. By the way my boat is the one in the background when they fish Barrenjoey!

Cheers

Kelvin

here are some pictures.

The kid holding the kingfish is 110cm and 25kg-definitely a keeper.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

here are some pictures.

What? Is there meant to be a pic there? :tease::tease: