Sydney Heads Sat 19/8

Dezmo

Hey All,

Headed out early sat AM with a mate in the tinny. Tried to pick up some livies at the wedding cakes just prior to sun up to no avail.

Just on first light trolled along south head. Within about 1 minute had a hook up on a bonito. We didnt end up getting far down the coast as we were having a great time getting bonnie after bonnie on that first stretch. Probably ended up with 15 or so probably 40-45cm ish in length in an hour plus a lone pike..

After this headed a km or two out between the heads and did a bottom bash drift. Leatheries were a nuisance here but managed to pick up a nice flathead. Put down the live pike whole but i suspect the leatheries got to it too.

The wind picked up a bit so anchored out of the southerly in south head an burlyed hard. Had a mix of reefies especially rockcod and also a big PJ. Got plenty of live yakkas, however when i put them out as baits something kept hitting the back of the head and killing them. Initially i got excited and assumed it was a good size squid.. But when i put a yakka on a squid jig I ended up with a damn eel. Do you think the eel could have been doing the damage??

Anway next put a few yakkas on the 15kg outfits and did quite a bit of slow trolling around south head and the harbour markers. Not a take here- but very relaxing.

Anyway all in all a good day out. Better than i would expect do to this time of year.

Edited by Dezmo

Good report dezmo, covering different areas and trying different methods can

make for an enjoyable day. I'm pretty sure it was squid killing your livies,

sometimes if you bring the squid in slowly within sight and drop a jig they will

jump onto that, also a squid spike put through the yakka or pillie might work??

sometimes no matter what you try you just cant get 'em.

Good report dezmo, covering different areas and trying different methods can

make for an enjoyable day. I'm pretty sure it was squid killing your livies,

sometimes if you bring the squid in slowly within sight and drop a jig they will

jump onto that, also a squid spike put through the yakka or pillie might work??

sometimes no matter what you try you just cant get 'em.

It was a good day. I called it for a squid for sure and did try the jig. Also tried the squid spike through the yakka and it was at this point we had a hit from the eel (a similar take to the earlier ones killing the livies).