I Need Help

coastie

Hi to all

I was wandering if any one out there could tell me what it is i'm doing wrong. I am new to fishing with lures (since the beginning of the year) and had only minimal success, only a few catches in early months of this year. I live on central coast and ever since the weather got cooler i have stop catching fish. if any one could tell me what im doing wrong, or wear some fish are biting, i would appreciate it.

thankyou.

p.s this is my first post so if I've done it wrong please let me know. :1fishing1:

Guest madsmc

:1welcomeani: to the site coastie. :biggrin2:

In order for us to give you some assistance, could you give us some more information?

What fish are you targeting on lures?

Are you using harbody lures or soft plastics?

Where abouts are you currently fishing on the Central Coast?

Shane

Thanks for for the welcome.

I mainly fish Tuggerah lakes.(Ourimbah creek). But i also travel to Brisbane waters and the Hawkesbury. Today i tried Parramatta river. I got 1 small bream and small taylor.I use both soft plastics and hard bodies. I would like to get better at both but mainly soft plastics. My main target is Bream. :1prop:

Any help is great, Thankyou.

Coastie, I can tell you that you can catch flatties on SPs in Tuggerah Lakes and Brisbane Waters 'cause I've done it! As for bream, I've seen it done, but I don't target bream. As far as flatties go, choose shad-style plastics between 65mm and 120mm, match 'em to a jighead to suit the depth of water running. Make fairly long casts upcurrent and "whip" the plastic back with a double-jerk action, allowing plenty of bottom contact between th jerks. Flatties will also take stickbaits and other styles of softies, but I prefer the shads for a baitfish imitation.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Hey Coastie,

Tuggerah lakes can be tough in Winter so dont get too discouraged. Ourimbah Creek even moreso. Flattieman is on the money and i will add to perhaps target the edges of weed banks if your in a boat. If your not its a bit harder.

Wait till the warmer weather and youll do ok if you follow Flattiemans suggestions and stick to the weeds. Flathead and Bream will be on the hit list its just a matter of using the right lure on the day.

Give us a bit more info and maybe we can get you on the right track ! :thumbup:

Thankyou Flattieman and Grant.

I fish from a boat and have tried fishing around the weedbeds. I have not tried using shad style soft plastics so i will have to give them a go.

Do lures work at night? Because i have heard that there are big bream at night over near the Entrance bridge. And can you catch flatties at night?

When you say whip the lure back, do you whip the rod up or down? or doesnt it matter?

CHEERS....

Thankyou Flattieman and Grant.

I fish from a boat and have tried fishing around the weedbeds. I have not tried using shad style soft plastics so i will have to give them a go.

Do lures work at night? Because i have heard that there are big bream at night over near the Entrance bridge. And can you catch flatties at night?

When you say whip the lure back, do you whip the rod up or down? or doesnt it matter?

CHEERS....

1) Lures do work at night. There are some big bream in Tuggerah Lakes, but the biggest I've caught was 40cm.

2) You can catch flatties at night.

3) Just find a light source and cast around there.

5) Whipping is the motion of giving the rod tip a good flick up and down. - It can be seen in the Squidgies DVD.

Flattieman.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a year messing around with soft plastics before I started catching fish. I'll never forget the early days fishing along side people using the same lure, jig head & leader as me. One of them would catch 30 fish in 2 hours. The other would catch 8 or so. I'd catch 1 or 2 & go back to using bait. I couldn't catch anything with either bait or lure.

Out of frustration, 3 months ago I bought the Squidgys Secrets DVD's, watched them & went fishing. Then I'd watch them & go fishing again. First trip out I caught 2 flat head. Second trip 6, third trip 12 etc. Now I'm catching bigger fish (up to 680mm) & it's time I targeted somthing else.

I fish brooklyn/broken bay & land between 20 & 30 flathead on a day out. On average, 1 in 4 are legal. Whiting, bream, taylor & pyke have been a bi-catch.

Everyone says flathead are suckers for plastics. If you want to learn to use plastics, target an easy fish. On the Squidgeys Secrets DVD they say if you can't catch flathead on plastics, forget fishing & take up bowling. Flathead may be easy for most people to catch, but for me it was a milestone.

Maybe It's luck, maybe I've learnt to catch flathead. Either way I'm having a heap of fun. Its time to searn to catch something else.

Good luck,

Rick.