Offshore And Lake Mac

blackmagic

Hi Fishos, a bit off a late post.

The outlook for last Wednesday did not look good. Plan was to stay in the lake and channel and drift for Flatties.As I got to the bridge I saw quite a few boats heading outside. I decided to follow and was amazed to see the original BOM forecast which was 13-18knots and gusts up to 23 knots was nowhere to be found, with the wind hanging around the 10 knot mark more like. Although I wasn't prepared as the rods I brought along with me were 3-5kilo sticks with all reels except for one were baitcasters. Threw a few metal lures around the back half of Moon Island for one Sergeant baker which was a bit unexpected. Fished the bottom for 3 wrasse and a Rock Cod. Decided to have ago at the Flathead grounds but current was too strong and could only manage a lone small Flathead and a small Flounder. Last stop was Caves Beach reef, again the current was quite strong and the wind started to pick up to around 15knots. Once again got plagued by sweep and red roccies but did manange one Legal Snapper 32cm which put up a great fight on my little baitcaster and a Slimie which was a tad over 25cm.

Day 2 was the complete opposite. Went out today with high expectations as the wind was meant to make a dramatic drop from yesterdays strong southerlies. Made an attempt to head out through the bar, but turned back when I got two consecutive waves in the boat. That was enough for me. Fished around the bridge got a few big hits and lost a legal King when it cut me off on a bridge pilon. Fished around the Bouys in Lake macquarie marking the entrance to the channel. Got a keeper flathead which went at 38cm and was amazed when I hooked a 45cm king in the lake!!! Great fun. Not to mention heaps of small yackas and a pike.

Not a bad few days fishing. A bit mixed up with the weather but it was all fun. Hope to get out with Swansea fisho on tuesday as he has promised me a days fishing for snapper. So excpect another report :1fishing1:

Nathan aka Blackmagic :biggrin2:

Once again got plagued by sweep and red roccies

plagued by Wrasse sorry not sweep lol

Hey Blackmagic

Sounds like a few good days fishing.

was amazed when I hooked a 45cm king in the lake!!!

When we visit swansea and fish the the drop off, I often let a livie down as the Kings tend to hunt the edge after the schooling fish.

Happy Fishing

Stephen