Broken Bay 26/08/06

Guest crow

Hi all,

Just a short report on my efforts on Saturday!!

With the only bad day forcast for the last week it had to be the only day i could get out...oh well.

Headed out to Lion Island & a further to west reef - nice swell rolling,nice wind blowing & the transducer bracket breaking - gee it was gonna be a good day :mad3:

Tried the drift from Lion to Box Head (& get some protection from the wind) for diddly squat. My deckie was crook with the flu so i suggested cruise back to Juno, couldnt hold bottom with the anchor - so by this stage we just about had enuff so i suggested a drift around Dangar. Finally we were on - Whiting all of 10cm :074: , i assume they were whiting i wasnt catching them so i didnt care....lol. So i said lets hang at the rail bridge for a bit, anchored up got the burley happening - when all of a sudden my deckies rod decided to bounce a bit, he wasnt that quick to react but thought he should wind it in to have a look - a 40cm flatty we all of a sudden found a new lease of life, but that was it!!

Still a good day out, just looking foward to next weekend!!

seen a boat that looked like wayneos but im pretty sure it wasn t him.

didn t get close enough but i assumed it wasn t because Wayneo would know where to fish gunya and this bloke was fishing the wrong side of gunya

by the way bad luck on saturday. i found it slow on saturday myself. i went for an arvo fish following lunch at patonga and fished gunya on the run out for one nice flattie and nothing else.

but lunch was good. :beersmile:

what boat were you in?

post-1909-1156737442_thumb.jpg

seen a boat that looked like wayneos but im pretty sure it wasn t him.

didn t get close enough but i assumed it wasn t because Wayneo would know where to fish gunya and this bloke was fishing the wrong side of gunya

by the way bad luck on saturday. i found it slow on saturday myself. i went for an arvo fish following lunch at patonga and fished gunya on the run out for one nice flattie and nothing else.

but lunch was good. :beersmile:

what boat were you in?

I got back to the ramp (p/bay) about 12.30, had the radio turned off once we got back inside

It was still good to get the boat out!!

My 5M quinnie - cream colour , see above, oops got the attachement in the wrong spot....hehehe

Am thinking of taking the family up to gunya on sunday if the weather is good.

oh ok i was probably at the ramp around that time but i was putting the boat in.

5m quinnie nice boat there mate.

gunya beach is a really nice place. but the fishing is better

Those fishraider stickers will come in handy, mate probably saw you but...oh well

Thanks for the boat comment mate :biggrin2:

As for Gunya - the fam can enjoy the beach i am heading there for a completely different reason.....hehehe

Martin,

Cant complain, i just love getting th boat out

Hey Crow

I was out on Broken Bay on Saturday arvo and Sunday morning in the new rig and also had a lot of trouble raising any decent fish. A couple of flatties on SP's on the sand-bar off Ettalong, some leatheries out wider, and bugger all of anything else.

Read a report today on one of the lesser fishing sites where Colin Buckley reckons that he picked up some snapper with floating baits and heaps of squid on jigs at West Reef. I assume he means West Reef off Broken Bay, but I'm still new to this boating thing so maybe there's another West Reef?

Anyway - sounds like he did better than we did!!

I was out on Broken Bay on Saturday arvo and Sunday morning in the new rig and also had a lot of trouble raising any decent fish. A couple of flatties on SP's on the sand-bar off Ettalong, some leatheries out wider, and bugger all of anything else.

Hi Mondo,

I think i may have seen you out wide yesterday, i went to the flathead grounds then came in close to be about 3k's out, i was drifting then all of a sudden boats started to appear from everywhere - there would have been about 5-6 boats there when i think you came along.

I was in a 480 freedomsport by myself (my deckie pulled out after having a night out :beersmile: ) i thought it was you by the recent description in the baoting section - gee you have a nice rig there.

Same as you on the fish front - nothing but jackets - lost lots of gear - little buggers eat through everthing, latter went to north west lion island for a better result

cheers :beersmile:

Hey Crow

Read a report today on one of the lesser fishing sites where Colin Buckley reckons that he picked up some snapper with floating baits and heaps of squid on jigs at West Reef. I assume he means West Reef off Broken Bay, but I'm still new to this boating thing so maybe there's another West Reef?

Anyway - sounds like he did better than we did!!

Mate we tried everything,

I had a ganged unweighted pillie floating in a burley trail, my deckie had a ganged pillie bouncing off the bottom, then we just had our normal little set ups - for 0 - oh well!!

Just means we have to try again this weekend!!! :yahoo:

Hi Aron

Yep - that was most likely me and Grebbo. We had also been out at the 50 meter mark trying for some flatties but couldn't get through the leatheries so came back in.

Being complete boating novices we saw a group of 5-6 boats drifting together in 30 meters and thought there must be something there so we snuck over for a look. It didn't take us long to realise that there was no structure and that the leatheries were still making the drift difficult, so we left pretty quick! I remember seeing your freedom sport - you've got a nice rig yourself!!!

Next time I'll know to come over and say hi.

Haraka, thanks for the tip and Crow - if you're out again this weekend and you're at West Reef I'll probably see you there.

Mondo,

Will let you know in the next day or so.

Like i said b4 - bring on the boat stickers!!

Sounds like we all may have seen each other but didnt know.... :05:

Harold, be patient my friend