Which 2500 Series Reel?

MrGenius

I have a spare 4kg rod that i would like to put a 2500 series reel on. I will be using 10-12lb braid on this and casting metals, hard bodies and sp's.

Ive made a short list below of a few reels that i have been looking at that are all similar prices, can someone tell me if there is a stand out reel out of these that is hands down better than the others or give me any other opinions on the matter or simply suggest something else.

Daiwa Capricorn CA 2500A

Daiwa TD Tierra 2500

Daiwa SOL 2500 Spinning Reel

Shimano Symetre 2500FI

Shimano Twin Power 2500FB

Thanks,

Nathan

Theres a few great choices there mate for me it would be a between the Daiwa SOL 2500 Spinning Reel anf the Shimano Twin Power 2500FB I have heard excellent things about both reels. Go a shop with both and put them both on the 4kg rod you have and check wich one balances the best.

Good Luck.

Symetre or the Twinpower are very nice reels but especially the Symetre for the price..... hard to beat.....the capricorn and the SOL are also lovley reels and a dream to handle.....i dont really like the Tierra but the my opinion..... go down to your local and have a good play around with them (also bring the rod in and put them on that) i like shimanos but daiwas are every bit as good..... if your on a budget then the Symtre or the capricorn.....if not then the shimano twinpower or the SOL

sorry sharky only saw your post after i put mine up

Edited by FletcherG1991

I had a good read of all the other threads on here the symetre and capricorn being mentioned a fair few times.

I was leaning towards the Capricorn more than any of the others as it seems to be pretty good value for money and i suppose the next step up would be the SOL.

All the shimano reels i have seem to get wobbly handles after not all that long, is this likely to happen on the symetre or the twin power?

my Symetre got a big workout with schools of tailor busting up yesterday (sadly only tiny little buggers) but i wound as fast as i could to get that lure skipping across the surface with no problems..... just make sure the handle tightener on the other side is done up properly and you will be fine..... the twinpower is an extremly good reel and you shouldnt have any problems at all with that.....honestly though..... the Symetre is nearly as good as the twinpower except of half (or cloes enough) the price..... it all comes down to your personal preferance in the end..... can you give us a budget ? or are you willing to pay for any one of the reels ? to answer your question i would say it is unlikly you are going to get a wobbly handle

Im willing to pay whatever for a reel but if theres only a bees dick difference between one for $150 and one for $250 im not going to buy the $250 one.

Wobbly handle from worn out components is the problem but these are all cheaper shimano reels sub $100, id expect the reels in the $150 upwards range not to do this but knowing my luck they will.

if you can pay for whatever i would definantly say the twinpower or the SOL..... the Symetre is very similar to the Twinpower but the Twinpower is nicer to use..... the SOL is the same as the twinpower to use.....very nice..... the expensiver models in the shimano range have a 10 year warrenty (symetre included ) so if any problems atleast you got a very good warenty (although you shouldn't have any probs).....hope this has helped

MrGenius...

i was wondering why you have left out the Stradic? that sits in between the symetre and the twin power.

i have looked at the lot, and i decided to go the symetre for the unbelieveable value for money and the feature list. i have tried the TD Sol, and it was a very nice reel, but twice the price. i have two Symetre's and i love them, i will not be upgrading them, unless i can afford stellas!

MrGenius...

i was wondering why you have left out the Stradic? that sits in between the symetre and the twin power.

i have looked at the lot, and i decided to go the symetre for the unbelieveable value for money and the feature list. i have tried the TD Sol, and it was a very nice reel, but twice the price. i have two Symetre's and i love them, i will not be upgrading them, unless i can afford stellas!

your right about the Symetres..... i forgot all about the Stradic.....thats also a top reel but i still think for the price you cant beet the Symetre

The new Daiwa Exceller is around the same price range as the Symetre Nathan. Might be worth a look if your local has them in stock.

Shane

check out the post on this forum re shimano bearings.not sure if this relates to threadline reels but it may be worth checking reel schematics for shimano (available on their website) & see if bearings claimed = actual bearings.

its got me buggered,i just checked out schematics for symtere 2500 & can only count 4 bearings (1roller-4ball)i know its sposed to have 5.count em yourself here, http://www.shimanofish.com.au/media/fishin...69830570370.pdf ,am i missing something? please explain!

it says 5 bearings wich is 1 roller- 4 ball so all are acounted for it does not say 5 BB it says 5 bearing

Guest fishrunner

Symetre or the Twinpower are very nice reels but especially the Symetre for the price..... hard to beat.....the capricorn and the SOL are also lovley reels and a dream to handle.....i dont really like the Tierra but the my opinion..... go down to your local and have a good play around with them (also bring the rod in and put them on that)

G'day FletcherG1991,

What did you not like bout the Tierra?

For the money they look alright!

cheers

Guest fishrunner

nothing wrong with the reel i just didn't like the looks of it..... i spose that doesn't really matter but i like my symetre :biggrin2:

Fair enough,,your opinion,

Maybe MrGenius might though, spec when you consider it is a Team Daiwa Hardbodz reel with digigear,, has a spare spool and machined handle with 7+1 roller bearing. Cheapest digigear you can get at Au $219 on campbells , which will give a comparitive price at your local tackle shop!

looks good to me.

maybe should be considered :biggrin2:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

or campbells

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=4134

have a look,

Edited by fishrunner