Trailer Wheel Bearings

riders

You rarely have to replace bearings unless they are rusted or stuffed do to lack of maintenance, i re-grease mine every 6mths and ive never had a problem.

Its a 5 minute job on each wheel.

and no i don't use bearing buddies.

Stevo :thumbsup:

Guest hottuna

Not so, I have bearing buddies an all 4 wheels, and use them often, Once a yr i replace all bearing as the trailer does do long 6hr trips. Its a salt water thing....... Suppose if i was only staying local i wouldn`t bother until one failed. Every 6 months they can and do get a bit loose and require a nip up to re tighten everthing. I`m about to put a new set in this weekend and may try out the new stainless steel bearings.

Dan

:P Hi i put grease nipples on my trailers years and years ago,I pump about 4 pumps of grease in about every 6 times i take the boat out,I never change the bearings and i have never had a problem. I suggest you try this method, and for peice of mind, just check the bearings every so often,then you will see that it is o.k. to leave well alone. :beer:

I use bearing buddies and a couple of pumps every so often keeps the bearings in good order.

Use of a good grease like OMC Tripleguard helps as well.

I always change my bearings each season and give them a good check when travelling any distance.

Hate to be on the side of the road broken down.

Regards :D

Hey Mark,

Your bearings will definatley last longer if they never hit the water, although just as big an enemy of trailer bearings is lack of use.

If your trailer sits there few a few months unused that needs to be taken into consideration too. This creats pits in the cones.

Replace em every 2 years regardless i reckon and repack once a year as a general rule of thumb.

Heres how you pack bearings - No tools required. :)

Inspect rollers and cones for discoloration and pitting, if ok

Wash out bearing if needed or unsure what grease is in it (dont mix greases)

Packing tapered rolers is a piece of cake. Big dolop of grease in the palm of your hand and press and wipe thelarge end of the tapered roler into the grease and continue this until the grease comes out the small end. Job done. 1 minute per side. Use marine wheel bearing grease, ie Castrol Boating Grease which is a lithium based grease or equivelant.

Replace the hub seals and wipe some grease on the bearing side, fit hub, tighten nut LIGHTLY - just over finger tight so theres no play and fit new split pin.

There you go - some more technical info from my mental vault of useless tidbits :D

I replace mine every 6 months, it is not a difficult or expensive excersise about $20 a wheel for parts. I had a set collapse after 6 months on a brand new trailer so I dont trust them any more.

On longer trips I also carry a spare hub with a set of greased bearings installed ready to go, so if a bearing goes it is as easy as changing a wheel. A new hub and bearing kit costs less then $50 and gives peace of mind when travelling long distances especially at night.

Alright sound slike I should check mine. I don't think they have been changed since the trailer was brought (by the original owner) in 1998 although I have asked the boat yard to check them a couple of times.

On average I use the boat about once every 2-3 weeks although there would be periods of 6-8 weeks were she doesn't move.

How easy is to check/replace bearings in reality.

I don't back myself at all when it comes to mechnical things so I did a bit of searching on the net for a "bearings for dummies" type thing.

Found this page which seems comprehensive:

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

However the process doesn't sound so simple any more.

Would I be better off just taking the trailer to a pro or is it really simple in reality. I guess I am worried that I might stuff something up by trying to service something that ain't broke in the first place.

Edited by mark_s

Good point mark, to me its simple, but thats my game. If your not confident, thats ok its not everyones bag, then dont attempt it. Take it to a mechanic cause it should be a cheap exercise.

I would advise learning to do it however in case you get stuck somewhere and need to do some "bush mechanics".

I think all boaties should learn some basic procedures in regards to boat and trailer maintanence. Could get you out of trouble one day. Cant call the NRMA to fix your boat or trailer . :1prop:

Oh yeah, the old addage of dont touch what aint broke is a risky ploy. Trailer bearing failure seldom gives any warning.

Cheers Mate :biggrinthumb:

Thanks for the reply Grant

I can easily seeing me pulling everythng apart and not being able to get it back together.

I think I will try and get someone else to do it the first time, maybe with me watching so I could have a go next time.

Here we go...The germination of an idea in this silly old head of mine! :1onono:

We all go to socials to cqatch up and learn new techniques. What about we have a social, and bring our trailers along, for a good old fashioned talkfest and strip some bearing while at it? :biggrinthumb:

I think we would be able to manage a few beers while doing this! :beersmile:

Thoughts?

Need a big area Joe??

15832[/snapback]

Ramp at Penryn Rd at Botany never fills up to capacity! I'm sure we could have a session on the Bay, and then meet at the ramp for some instructionals! :1prop: