Georges River

Guest maraudingmado

Guest maraudingmado

Hi Everyone

I am going fishing on Saturday or Sunday fishing the Georges River around the East Hills area. I will be catching a train (so that's why the Saturday or Sunday. Will start on Saturday but when the train gets there is anyones guess). Due to lack of transport this is a first for me with public transport. Will try other areas down the track(no pun intended) but just trying it out to see what to take etc.

Haven't fished there for ages and was wondering whether -:

The East Hills Footbridge is still there to cross(from East Hills to Voyager Point)

Anything been caught in general area between say Milperra Bridge and Picnic Point

Not after specific areas just a general overview will be more than enough

G'day maraudingmado

I Used to fish quite often under the old footbridge ages ago (probably 3 or 4 years maybe longer ). Used to pick up heaps of small bream and tailor.

The bridge at that time was being deconstructed. It has now been rebuilt , but i have not fished there since.

I have heard first hand reports of 7kg Jewies being caught there at night on live tailor.

As Pekingduck has said it was reconstructed 4 years ago after it got condeamed by the council

it has been rebuilt after lots of complaints from residents on not being able to cross and get to the station.

Sorry can,t help much with fishing reports down there

G`day Fellas ,

There is a sany beach about 1/2 click north of the bridge.

See Pic.

There is a reef here and it produces some monster bream .

Best time is late arvo or Night , packet prawns are Fine , and if you chuck a slab of Mullet or pillie out into the main channel , you can catch anything from Shark to school Jews.

Incidently , It was at this spot , back in the late 1950`s or early 60`s , that the largest bream ever taken was caught !.....9.5 pounds.

I too have caught some huge bream there at night , especially with Fresh live prawns when they are running .

4/0 suicide with whole live prawn , 12lb line , and small pea sinker right down on the hook.

Shown to me by an old master who fished East Hills all his life.

The reef also , is a prolific Blackfish spot , but I would suggest you don`t eat your catch .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

I too have caught some huge bream there at night , especially with Fresh live prawns when they are running .

4/0 suicide with whole live prawn , 12lb line , and small pea sinker right down on the hook.

Shown to me by an old master who fished East Hills all his life.

The reef also , is a prolific Blackfish spot , but I would suggest you don`t eat your catch .

Mick

:1yikes: Whoa 4/0 hooks for Bream?

They must be HUGE bream! :biggrin2:

Guest maraudingmado

That sandy area is called Kelso Beach. I used to fish it as a kid. There were schools of mullet and everyone used to fish for them there. A lot of people used to try and "jag" them as well.

Mick I am sure I bumped into the same bloke you're talking about. He also told me of monster bream he used to catch there. I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a part of the sand "off limits" as they stated it was poisonous.

G`day Fellas ,

That gun fisherman we speak of , who I think its the same chap , passed away in the late 80`s or early 90`s .

What made his achievements so incredible , was that he actually wore a Colostomy Bag , due to losing his bowel to cancer , which he obviously survived .

Sometimes he would wade out to the reef and fish for Blackfish or bream , other times I would bump into him at Blackbutt , milperra bridge , behind the Speedboat club , or other spots near Menai that we fished at times.

No matter who approached him , if somebody asked a question , he would stop fishing and show them what to do .

Funny about that Toxic report from East Hills Mate, I used to fish with 2 other fellas , who laughed at those reports , because they used to rock up , catch 2 or 3 blackfish , then take them home and eat them , and they had been doing this all their lives.

They told me the "TRICK" was , Not to clean your fish in the Water there , but rather , to take them home and wash them thouroughly under the tap , but also taking extreme care to remove the black belly lining with a wire brush .

So figure that one out , but I must admit I was never tempted to follow suit .

And Yes lil flattie , 4/0 hooks are advisable in that area at night , because School Jews cruise the shallows , as well as Sharks and the odd big flattie , so 4/0 is the Go.

I`m having some pleasant flash backs of the night we scooped some live prawns near Salt pan bridge , and set up our camp on Kelso Beach.

Having set all our rods in Rod Holders , we popped the esky , grabbed a coldie , and sat on our foldable chairs .

The next thing we knew , one of the rods went off , and I was the ist one to it .

Laying back on the rod , I knew immediately what it was , so calling it for a big bream , the boys frantically wound their lines in , which gave me room to play it , without having to worry about Tangles.

About 5 mins later , I had a whopping big bream up on the sand which weighed in a tic over 5 pounds .

Later on we got 3 more smaller fish , all were in the 3 pound region , but we also got busted twice by sharks , and lost a schoolie about the 12/15 LB mark because by this time , the Gaff Man was seeing doubble .

Actually , he did have a technical excuse , because the line had somehow snagged a sheet of the Herald Newspaper , and being full to the gills on Rum , he gaffed the newspaper perfectly , but broke the line when trying to set the gaff.

WE had some funny times fishing that area , but we mostly only kept fish to eat from Menai Or Como Bridge down to The Bay.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT