Big Reel Versus Small Reel

Blood Knot

Hi Raiders -

Looking to buy a new reel (and rod) for flicking soft plastics. Mostly to be used for landbased work, so looking to mazimise casting distance.

Have a hypoyhetical question :

Does spool dia and hence reel size effect casting distance. ie: generally 1000 size reels have smaller spools than 2000 size reels. I am thinking that the line on a small spool has to revolve around the spool lip a greater number of times and at a higher speed ( for the same cast distance) than on a larger dia spool, which may in some way cause more drag on the line and marginally shorter cast.

Tend to favour the smaller reels myself from a weight perspective - gotto to carry and cast it for hours when out landbased, but want to maximise casting distance as well.

Leaving rods out of the equation does anyone have any thoughts or theories to share?

John

2000 diawa size is not a bad choice.......but then again 2500 shimano is not bad either.

Horses for courses mate..... see what you get the best price with.

Spend $200 with either and you get a cracker of a reel.

What sort of fishing do you intend to do with it?

Guest IFishSick.

I agree, the smaller reels are more accurate because you have less reel to steady. I would go with the 1000 if you are not worried about distance

Thanks guys -

Some interesting points there, looks like general concensus is that you may get greater distance from say a 2000 or 2500 size reel, but distance from reel seat to bail arm increases a bit and may make repetitive casting less comfortable (unless you were talking about reel weight Billfisher)

Currently looking at 7'6" rod (may be Miller Bream Finesse) and new Diawa reel around 1500 size. Just wanted to get feelings from you guys on reel sizes - realise inherent size numbering differences between brands Diawa v Shimano.

Jewel - planning on using land based around Iron Cove/ inner city waterways mostly from the banks with soft plastics for bream and usual suicidal flatties. I dont go wading on weekday mornings as I am dressed for work and tide is not allways as I might like, hence the need to toss it out abit further than I can manage with the current setup. Dont want to resort to heavier jig heads and potential increased snags.

John

Im currently using a Daiwa Saegake with a Team Daiwa Advantage 2000, Fishrunner has a 820dsr Loomis with a 2500 Luvias. Both these outfits will throw 1/32 to 1/4oz comfortably all day (and we have!) Both cast about the same distance and neither leaves you feeling weary.

I have a 1500 Caldia Kix on one of my light rods and 1500 capricorns on the intermediate rods, all these outfits balance so they appear to weigh nothing when you pick them up. This I consider more important than overall weight.

As for the weight concerns you have to realistic about it....... the quibble is probably over no more than a few ounces. You could always just take a few jigheads out of your tackle box! :1prop:

My current outfit is also TD Advantage #1500 (what a great little reel), have it on a loomis GL3 SR842-2/7'. Have flooged the proverbial crapper out of it for the last 2 years as my land based combo. At last I have got the opportunity to update both rod & reel (though both still serving well). Looking for a longer rod 7'6" any body sussed out this length much, usually use jig heads 1/32 to 1/16 oz.

John