Rod Holders.

Guest Jocool

After all the talk of losing rods overboard, I got to thinking about rod holders. My boat is fitted with 4 flush mounted rod holders that are made of plastic. I am sure that 95% of boats that leave the factory with rod holders have these plastic ones fitted.

Are these suitable for trolling of heavier lines? If not, what do you guys use or suggest as an alternative? What would be the maximum line class you would use on the plastic holders?

This is the type I have on my boat.

Joe IMHO stick with the plastic ones. Your not chasing marlin :confusuion: or are you?

The plastic units won't start corrosion usually associated when salt water is added to dissimilar metals.

Make sure you use a clip on tether to your rods. The guys at Load Restraints in the Southern Cross yard at Chippo can whip them up dirt cheap. Just supply your own clips.

Cheers Bill

They'd probably handle up to 10kg gear. If you do decide to go for stainless make sure you get decent ones, the ones that are cast not pressed! As for line restraints, I used to make my own out of venetion blind cord and stainelss clips. But the very best way I reckon is to go to the reject shop and buy a few dog leashes for $2 each!!! they're strong as hell, shimano's product may as well be a dog leash and they're over 20 bucks!! Another option is the scotty rod holders, they're supposed to be pretty tough.

Edited by Bashir

Another method big fella is to use the rod holders you have and then use the bermuda add ons for about $75 there not bad just make sure you use the rod holders with the gimble end and not the round ended type as they spin round and jump out in the rough

And if you need a staritt set to drill the hole give us a bell matie

Edited by WetPatch

Ho Jo,

I prefer the stainless items. I have heard people mention that the plastic versions crack due to UV.

I just think its better to be safe that sorry.

Agree with the other guys about tethering your rods down.

Good idea Bashir about the dog leads. Will have to get some.

Cheers

Lee