Replacing My Marine Batteries ... Need Help

Hookem_Herby

Ok lads, need some help, ideas and input with replacing the old batteries in my boat.

Just trying to assertain what batteries would be best for my rig and it's set-up.

I currently have a twin battery set-up. Last week my 3 year old marine batteries died (without warning) and now need replacing. So I'm currently wondering what I should replace them with? I'm after info on brands and types but was also thinking about installing 1 x heavy duty marine battery and 1 x deep cycle battery as I am somewhat prone to spending overnighters on my boat and have a few accessories (TV, toilet, fridge, etc) that source a fair bit of power from the batteries whilst anchored overnight.

I've been told that marine batteries are a 'crank' battery and don't generally like being totally flattened and then recharged again, hence my suggestion to perhaps opt for a deep cycle as my 2nd battery which I'd use to run the appliances on the boat on o/n trips. That way if I drained the battery I could still start the outboard with the marine battery and recharge the other once the motor is running.

What do you guys think? Or should I just stick to the standard 2 x H/D marines?

Many thanks in advance to all those that reply. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Herby

Herby,

Sounds like your on the money to me. :thumbsup:

Theres a big difference between Deep Cycle and Marine batteries. Marine battereis have at least 450 CCA ( cold cranking amps ) and deep cycle have about 120 CCA with a low amp draw for accessories but is no good for starting outboards.

You need at least 450 CCA for your main engine battery as a mimimum.

I would then get a deep cycle for your accessories. If you decide to try a get a combined battery to do both just make sure its got at least 450 CCA, although i suggest getting the two types as their entirely different applications.

Then like you said just charge both with the engine running.

Most of the big name batteries will do the job. ( Century , Exide etc )

Hope this helps! :D

Thanks Richard and Grant,

Will look into both of your suggestions. Just good to know that I'm on the right track and that what has been proposed to me seems possible .... at least in theory! :D

Cheers,

Herby

p.s. Have heard and read a fair bit about Lifeline batteries. Are they really that good? Worth the extra money? Does anyone own one?