Airlie Beach

ilk fish

greetings fishraiders

had a great time at airlie beach last week. the weather was absolutely perfect.

on a bit of a budget so i just did a bit of land based fishing.

used the old wooden wharf to catch my squid at shute harbour, apparently its out of bounds to

fishing, didnt realise until someone told me. , but most of the locals use it for squiding nonetheless.

there were also lots of herring, it was impossible to get them on bait, locals get them via a cast

net.

caught the last bus back to airlie beach, at the backpackers/magnums lots of fun and drinking,

very good crowd.

went to able point marina well before sunrise, used my new shimano jig stick, its rated to 5kg

test drag, it seperates just above the reel seat hence its a great travel rod, matched with my

full metal pen 6500 spinfisher (10kg maxima, spooled on real tight), i lobbed out my freshly

caught squid. had a very large trevally on within minutes.

overall airlie is a great destination, the fish dont jump on your line as they do up in weipa,

but if you put in a good effort with fresh bait and at the right times, you will get good diividends.

I will seriously be checking out air fares with jet star, apparently they are now $85 each way

on many flights, if this continues, I might even get a small tinnie and leave it up there,

possibly a ten footer, as you really dont need to travel too far from the shore for decent fish.

r