24kg Outfit

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

After being outgunned on 15kg Iam looking at buying another 24kg outfit. Recommendations fellas? Iam looking at Shimano, TLD. Would a 30 be sufficient or would I have to go up to a 50? Looking at chasing Marlin as well.

Big Banana,

The Tiagra might be a bit overkill simply for YFT, a more than adequate combo would be a Shimano backbone with a TLD 25 and this combo at $285 would be about 1/4 of the price of a Tiagra set up, however the benefit with Tiagra is that you can get excellent line capacity on it for those moments when chasing bigger, running fish like the mighty Marlin.

Goodluck with the search mate.

Anthony

I would recommend at least a '50' sized reel for 24kg line. A lot of fishermen go for a 50-wide for the extra capacity. If the fish are the size that require 24 kg line you may well need all a 50 sized reel will hold. Marlin have been known to spool anglers before all the other lines are brought in and the boat can give chase. Large yellowfin can strip a lot off too.

The Tiagra 50 are an awesome reel but very expensive but a TLD50 is an awesome Fin reel that is also capable against most billfish. I owned a couple of these as well as 25's and 15's whilst working in PNG and have marked up many noteable catches including YFT to 85kgs and Billies to the mid 100's. They also only weigh a fraction of what the Tiagras do. Just keep them serviced and they will last for many years. While I had these I also had a full set (8,10,12,15,and 24kg) Fin Nor Ahabs and fished the TLD's more often than not, a very underrated and capable family of reels.

Cheers

Geoff

You can still put a lot of pressure on a tuna with 15kg. What sort of drag setting were you using? I wouldn't bother with the 24kg unless you really need it, if you do go for 24kg, then I assume you will be fishing it at sunset otherwise what's the point??? Then you will need a good harness gimble setup like a black magic as 24kg at sunset can get very sore. If you do get a 24kg, get a tld50 as a minimum, I will be selling all my game rods soon as I'm going custom, let me know if you want some cheap rods.

Guest Big-Banana

Mate throw them my way. I have the whole Black Magic set up now so its a lot easier. But Id take them off your hand. Iam looking at a TLD 50 atm.

Guest Big-Banana

Iam just thinking a TLD 25, it can hold 320m of 24kg line which I reckon would be plenty. Not worth spending an extra $200 on the TLD 30 which holds the same amount. TLD50 is a little out of my price range...

A tld25 can't fish 24kg mate. Their max drag is about 8kg, which is only 24kg at strike. I don't see the point in fishing 24kg if you're only going to fish it at strike, you may as well fish 15kg at sunset and have 600m or more of line. 320m of line is nothing if you plan to chase marlin too.

If you want to fish 24kg then get rod and reel that are made for it. If you think you want to tangle with a marlin out off the shelf then don't waste your time and money as a decent fish will make you only say If only

My rule of thumb is 700m is the minimum. I like good line capacity on my game fishing outfits as it lets me strip off line before each trip and tie a new double. Any less and the line level gets to low on the spool. Most of my out fits have 1000m capacity and set up to match the specific line class with drag capacity.

I am still a Penn international fan and some of my reels are 20 plus years and taken some big fish. My 24kg has been responsible for Marlin caught and released up to 360kg which is a serious work out.

If you are fishing out of a small boat 25 feet and less and you hook up, a 24kg out fit lets you get your fish quickly, taking some of the pressure off the fuel issue and in case the weather turns bad.

If you fish the shelf and wider you will come into contact with a blue marlin eventually and 180kg is not an uncommon fish. Knowing you have the line capacity and the drag capability is a comfort. I have had Blue Marlin strip 300 or 400m on 15kg easy on a first run and then go some more before we could start backing up to run them down. If you want a marlin 24kg will do it easy off Sydney for you as well as tackle the fin.

Fishing lures you will not want to put as much drag pressure as it’s easy to create a hole in the mouth of yellow fin and the first bit of slack the lure drops put. With bait you can expect a deeper hook up.

Spend the extra and go for the 50 wide be it a Penn or Tiagra.

Cheers

Here is one a bit cheaper, reckon MO's would do better still.

http://www.gotyatackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=960

I agree the TLD 25 would not cope with 24kg line fished hard.

Bit off topic but regarding Got'Ya Tackle I have emailed them a few times 2 weeks ago, they don't seem to be responding through emails ... so its best to call them ... just a heads up ;)

Guest Big-Banana

Just one more question whats the different between the TLD 50 LRS 2 Speed and the TLD 50? Campbells has them at the same price whilst gotyatackle.com has them priced differently?

The lrs series of shimano reels are designed for heavier lines, may it be tiagra or tld.

Here is an example

Note these figures are made up for this example

The Tiagra 50W

Each click of the lever drag will apply 500 grams of drag pressure, so this reel is design for say 24kg line

The tiagra 50W LRSA

Each click of the lever drag will apply 1 kg of extra drag pressure, so this would be use for 37 kg line

The difference is the amount of drag that is applied with each click on the lever