Learning To Fish In Botany Bay

Mysterythecat

I've been something of a voyeur on this site for a while - peeking into what everyone else was up to but not contributing a damn thing. Of course I wanted to - I just didn't have anything to talk about because every time I decided to wet a line, I'd be more a fish "teaser" than than a fish "catcher". I swear that there are fish in the Hawkesbury who look forward to me coming because they gauranteed a free feed at almost no risk to themselves.

It didn't take much for me, after reading this site for a while, to work out that I really didn't know what the hell I was doing and I needed to learn quickly if I ever wanted to eat anything other than humble pie. So I went to school.

This particular school is actually run by Scotty Lyons who runs Southern Sydney Fishing Tours. I have to give him a plug because yesterday (Sunday 17th) I learned more in half a day with him on the water in Botany Bay than I could have learned in a couple of years trying to muddle through it myself.

The theory part of the class was an evening session a few weeks back but the practical was something else.

We met up at at the base of the Cook bridge at about 6am and shot off to "Trevally Alley". Scotty reckons he was the originator of the name but I have to take his word on it. As we arrived, ther were only 3 or 4 other boats there, but 15 minutes later it was more like 20. Guess you have to be there early to get your favourite spot. Lesson 1 was targeting Trevally using nippers as baits. There didn't seem to be much action around but after about 45 minutes or so, we had 3 in the boat (approx 1 kgs). We also got a Kingie which was a bit of an unexpected bonus although at 50cms, was a bit undersized and we released it.

Next lesson - trawling lures, which we did following the line of the sea wall. Fairly quickly, we had a bonnie on board (around 3kgs) but a few more sweeps didn't produce anything more.

Lesson 3 - getting live baits on hand lines. After about 20 minutes we had enough to press on.

Then it was onto soft plastics and jigging for flatties on the drift. This time, after an hour or so we still came up empty. However, it was enough for me to realise why I hadn't managed to get anything before. I know know I've been looking in the wrong places with the wrong sort of set-up and the whole jigging thing was new to me (although when I think of it now it sort of makes sense which just makes me feel even dumber!).

Back onto baits (peeled prawns and nippers) hanging just off the reef off Bear Island. We managed to find our only flattie here along with a good size sand shark (3/4 metre long) which we released, and an annoying flurry of Reddies which likewise went back to where they came from.

Then we went on to anchor just off the first navigation marker by the container wharf. Tried the live baits but nothing much doing. Over to the runway and try trawling with lures for Tailor. They seemed to be ignoring us too. That's okay, I'm used to it.

A final lesson - anchored off the river mouth using Bream rigs. Fairly quickly, 2 Bream are in the boat (about 30cm). One of them caught on hand-line.

Back to shore to contemplate all we had learned.

Overall a good day, and real good way to learn a lot quickly. If there is anyone else out there struggling, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

cheers

Mysterythecat

:1welcomeani: to the site, Mysterythecat. Funny nic - I think we'd all be interested to find out what prompted it sometime. Sounds like you learnt a lot and hopefully gained some more passion for our wonderful recreation. Top stuff, great report - hopefully the first of many more. :thumbup:

Flattieman.

:1welcomeani: to the site, Mysterythecat. Funny nic - I think we'd all be interested to find out what prompted it sometime. Sounds like you learnt a lot and hopefully gained some more passion for our wonderful recreation. Top stuff, great report - hopefully the first of many more. :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Thanks mate. I'm hoping to post more reports too - it might mean I have actually applied the lessons.

As for the nic, I used to have a cat called Mystery. I was sitting at my computer one day having to think up a user name for something or another and the cat jumps on my keyboard. I figured he wanted his own account so I used his name and have done so ever since. It works because knowone else is ever going to copy it, meaning I don't have to be too creative.

cheers

Mysterythecat

Thanks mate. I'm hoping to post more reports too - it might mean I have actually applied the lessons.

As for the nic, I used to have a cat called Mystery. I was sitting at my computer one day having to think up a user name for something or another and the cat jumps on my keyboard. I figured he wanted his own account so I used his name and have done so ever since. It works because knowone else is ever going to copy it, meaning I don't have to be too creative.

cheers

Mysterythecat

Interesting... Now comes the inevitable - what's the story behind naming your cat "Mystery"?

Flattieman.

Interesting... Now comes the inevitable - what's the story behind naming your cat "Mystery"?

Flattieman.

Not too much of a story. Freind of mine was giving away kittens and my wife wanted one. As we were going to pick it up she asked me what it looked like. I told her I had no idea - it was a Mystery.....

There’s a DVD put out by Scotty & his mate Garry Brown called A Day On The Bay with plenty of good tips in it. Also Garry Brown dose a fishing class, which is worth attending. By the way welcome to the site :thumbup:

Yeah, I've got the DVD too - bought it from Scotty. Funny thing is, I've also booked to do classes with Garry Brown next month - I reckoned there are a lot of good fisho's around that I can learn from so I booked them both at the same time. I didn't realise the relationship until I saw the DVD. Its all good!

cheers

Mysterythecat

There’s a DVD put out by Scotty & his mate Garry Brown called A Day On The Bay with plenty of good tips in it. Also Garry Brown dose a fishing class, which is worth attending. By the way welcome to the site :thumbup:

The DVD is great, theres one for sale in the FOR SALE section at the moment if anyone is keen.....

Good report mate. I have been out with Scotty Lions before and he really knows his stuff. He helped me catch my first fish on a lure and showed me hoe to catch flatties on Sps. Great guy and well worth the money for beginners. The dvd is great and so is the photo gallery.