Stuck Swivel Seat

Pukka

Anyone help me with my jammed seat pedestal?

I can lift the seat out of it's hole a couple of centimetres but then something 'hits' something and it won't lift any further.

I tried unscrewing the floor around the seat, but the pedestal restricts the floor from being lifted.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Pukka

Guest bluecod

Pukka,

My guess would be that there is a retaining clip around the post - much like a piston ring around a piston - you'll need to get to either the top or the bottom of the post to remove the clip/s - can you unscrew the post bracket underneath the seat in order to remove the seat itself?

Hi bluecod

I tried unscrewing the seat from the pedestal, because i thought the inside of the tube that forms the pedestal stem might be accessible from the top. Unfortunately the plate the seats screws into covers the end of the stem. Only way i could access it from the top would be to drill a large hole in the top plate. As i mentioned the base of the pedestal is inaccessible because the pedestal restricts the floor from lifting more than a few centimetres.

Ta Pukk'

Guest bluecod

Pukk,

Just had a look at one of mine, the plate to which the seat is screwed is connected to another plate on the pedestal post by a large pin 3/4" dia that has been flanged over. I can't see an obvious way of separating the parts apart from semi-destruction, though mine are cheapies and if any problems with them they will be throw aways. Best of luck!

G'day Joe

Are u refering to a lean seat style pedistal or just the standard holes for your quinnie seats? Over the year I have had mine jam in the standard holes as the plastic cap at the bottom of seat mount becomes warn and expands in the hole. I just ended up yanking the seat out (no pins or anything that holds the cap in) with the plastic cap still jammed in the hole then dug it out with a screwdriver and pliers. I then removed the cap off the end of my other seat to prevent further problems with that one. All good since.

G'day Joe

Are u refering to a lean seat style pedistal or just the standard holes for your quinnie seats?  Over the year I have had mine jam in the standard holes as the plastic cap at the bottom of seat mount becomes warn and expands in the hole.  I just ended up yanking the seat out (no pins or anything that holds the cap in) with the plastic cap still jammed in the hole then dug it out with a screwdriver and pliers.  I then removed the cap off the end of my other seat to prevent further problems with that one.  All good since.

Hey Rick,

Ya it's the standard seats mate. I haven't got a lean seat, although the way my feet felt after y'days social comp', I might just have to invest in one! :thud: :);)

Thanks for reminding me about the end-cap Rick, BillyK also suggested to me earlier, this might be the cause, but it totally slipped my memory (surpising! :-rolleyes ). I've got to do a few bits and pieces to do on the boat sometime today, so I'll have another go at yanking it out.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Joe

No probs mate, spray wd40 down the side and twist the seat as u r pulling it out. Should separate the cap from the pole releasing the seat, dig out the cap and don't put it back on.

Oh and I am sure like me u will like to know St Clair is firing. I was invited up with Mick and some friends but I had to keep an eye on the Mrs so he went up with Tony (another ABA staff) for the day yesterday and picked up 30+fish, largest 46 fork. He got 2 hatricks (3 fish for 3 casts) on 2 occasions in the avo. Said there were plenty of double hookups aswell. :thumbsup:

No probs mate, spray wd40 down the side and twist the seat as u r pulling it out.  Should separate the cap from the pole releasing the seat, dig out the cap and don't put it back on.

Oh and I am sure like me u will like to know St Clair is firing.  I was invited up with Mick and some friends but I had to keep an eye on the Mrs so he went up with Tony (another ABA staff) for the day yesterday and picked up 30+fish, largest 46 fork.  He got 2 hatricks (3 fish for 3 casts) on 2 occasions in the avo.  Said there were plenty of double hookups aswell.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the St.Clair report Rick, the water temp must have shot up in the last few weeks, can't wait t'get back there.

Joe