Battery Life

bullfrog

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my battery before I go out next time.

I can't complain as I have had it for just over six and a half years (I also let the cells run dry which didn't help)

My mechanic reckons modern bateries only last for about two to three years so he said I have done OK from it.

What's the longest time you have had a battery?

Cheers,

Martin

My deepcycle for my electric just gave up after abit over 7yrs All I did was keep the fluid topped up with distilled water and put it straight back on to automatic charger after use where it stayed until I went out again Hope the new batterie lasts as long

If you have not started your boat for 7 months could you expect the battery to be flat and would a recharge get it going or do you shorten its life by letting them go flat?

Battery on my last boat lasted just short of 6 years but was always kept charged.

Cheers

If you have not started your boat for 7 months could you expect the battery to be flat and would a recharge get it going or do you shorten its life by letting them go flat?

Battery on my last boat lasted just short of 6 years but was always kept charged.

Cheers

It will go flat over that time

If you are not going to use the boat for a while you should disconnect the battery and give it a charge before reconnecting

interesting topic, i thought it was weird that my battery hasnt givin up after 4 years.

I always disconnect the battery after trips, and charge the night before we go out EVERYTIME.

The thing that really surprised me was that its just a el cheapo marine/4x4 battery from super cheap auto-although its made in NZ. I recently noticed the same brand is now made in taiwan :thumbdown:

I am amazed at the amount of people that leave their batter connected and never charge? i guess it could just be my old outboard that doesnt have a powerful alternater.

p.s thanks once again for the bowrail, it looks great and its gives perfect safety for those choppy days retrieving the anchor

You B%@$^!ds

Here was I reading this thread...reflecting on the 06/00 stamp on my battery and wondering whether to gloat or not....got to the ramp this morning..dead battery...karked it! :1badmood:

Guess it best to happen at the ramp rather than out on the bay with a 30kt NW'er coming!

Cheers

Chris