Corroboree Billabong N.t

Bankso

LAST WEEKEND HEADED OUT TO CORROBOREE BILLABONG WHICH IS ABOUT 100KM'S FROM MY PLACE IN HOPE TO BAG MY FIRST BARRA AS THE WEATHER IS HEATING RIGHT UP AND THE BUILD UP IS JUST STARTING. SO FRIDAY I RACED HOME FROM WORK AND HOOKED UP THE BOAT AND OFF I WENT, ON MY MISSION. IT TOOK ME JUST OVER AN HOUR AND I WAS AT THE BOAT RAMP CHECKING IT OUT AROUND 6 O'CLOCK THAT EVENING. SO I LEFT THE RAMP AND CHECKED OUT THE CAMPING AREA WHERE I COULD ROLL OUT THE SWAG FOR THE NIGHT. SO THEN IT WAS BACK TO THE RAMP TO PUT THE BOAT IN AND FISH THE FIRST OF THE DARK AND INTO THE NIGHT. THE FISHING WAS PRETTY SLOW AND I DROPPED 2 BARRA ON THE TROLL :mad3: BUT NOT TO WORRY. IN THE MORNING I WAS ON THE WATER AROUND 5.30 AND AS THE MIST ROSE OFF THE WATER I WAS ON TO MY FIRST CONFIRMED BARRA AND AFTER A COUPLE JUMPS AND SHORT RUNS HE SPAT THE LURE, BUT IT WAS EXCITING STUFF AND I WAS HAPPY. AFTER THAT I TIED ON AN UNWEIGHTED SQUIDGIE ON A WEEDLESS HOOK I THEN STARTED CASTING ON TO THE LILLY PADS, NO BARRA BUT I GOT A COUPLE OF SARATOGA AND A COUPLE OF SLEEPY COD WHICH WHERE ALSO A FIRST. EVEN THOUGH THE FISHING WAS NOT THE BEST IT WAS STILL A GOOD TRIP AND SOME VALUABLE LESSONS WHERE LEARNT. THIS PLACE IS A GREAT PLACE TO GO AND I CANT WAIT TO GO OUT THERE AGAIN.

P.S THERE WAS SOME BIG CROCS OUT THERE ASWELL

BANKSO

i've fished there a few times on some of my trips to NT, and corroboree is a nice spot. Once you're on to a barra try to keep the line taught at all times. if your line is slack there is a greater chance of your lure being spat by a jumping barra.

those crocs are huge!

Hey Bankso - I'm very pleased to hear that the build-up has begun and that the big barra are starting to come on the chew. Bad luck on not staying attached to the barra - but if you're hooking up then you'll definitely start landing em soon!!

I head up to Enyalgout Island and the Mini-Mini system in a week's time for five days of guided barra fishing. Two years ago at this spot, at this time of year, we trolled up two barra over a metre and lost one that would have easily been 1.2m. It is a great time of the year to chase the mightiest of all Australian perch.

And just to keep Grant happy I'll be posting a big report with a heap of piccies upon my return.

I'll be posting a big report with a heap of piccies upon my return.

Can't wait, mate.

post-98-1158909097_thumb.jpgTHANKS GUYS, HERES A PICTURE. JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO IT THIS WAS THE BIGGER OF THE 2 TOGAS :tease:

Sounds like a great couple of days, Bankso. Next time, you'll land those barra.

Flattieman.