Surface Action In Cowan 23-09-06

Guest Saqa

G'day raiders

I was too knackered to type this up yesterday so here is the belated report

George S., his son Robbie and I launched at ATB 7am in his Stacer. Without any real plan of action we decided to head downstream and explore Smiths Creek. Amazed at the size and the depth in this so called creek we located some sandflats upstream and proceeded to drift around working plastics. I caught a nice 43cm dusky which was kept for diner. There must have been a billion hardyheads under the boat which occasionally got smashed by something and we did sight some very nice Bream and whiting but the flaty was the only catch here.

Next we tried the rocky shore line near little Jerusalem Bay where we had done very well on a past trip. Robbie and I got a few undersize snapper and one 24cm bream here while George played with his plastic and pretended to fish. A young couple who were trolling near us in a poly tuff tender ran into trouble when their motor died and wouldn’t start so we towed them back to their houseboat moored in the bay.

After this George wanted to explore Jerusalem Bay so we headed that way. On the way there George’s keen eyes spotted some birds working in the distance towards Cottage Rock. We quickly changed the plastics on our bream gear to metal slices and screamed over and found birds dive bombing and bait getting slashed in big boils. Robbie was the first one to hookup and brought in a nice tailor with George getting one straight after. This was to be the start of one of the best surface action I have experienced in Sydney waters. We followed the birds and the boils all the way up to Challenger Head. Occasionally the school would go down and we would troll the slices looking for the birds which scattered hunting for the school. Upon spotting birds bombing a new area we would zoom over as soon as we approached the rods would fold over. We landed over 60 fish and pulled hooks on a lot. After keeping a fair few for the table we started releasing them. Most of the tailor were between 35-42cm with the biggest being 45cm. At one stage I let my raider sink below the school and got smashed by a thumper trev which was 39cm. We had multiple triple hookups and at least one person was always on most of the time. The amazing thing was other then one boat everyone else just flew past us not catching on to what was happening so we had it all to ourselves.

Here are some pics. Once the tailor frenzy started our hands were too slimy and we were too into the action to touch the camera again

post-1888-1159088254_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1159088424_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1159088479_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1159088525_thumb.jpg

Looks like you guys had some fun with the tailor. There's nothing like smashing them when they are on the boil like that.

I remember my father and I at Mallacoota doing something similar year after year

when the tailor would chase just about anything.

They would even smash a bare hook with a piece of white rag tied to it.

One day we got over 200 in 2 hours...they just kept coming...lots of fun.

Congrats on a terrific day out...nice pics too.

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Great report and it sounded like some hot action.

I know a spot in botany bay where they come every year (in winter) and once they are there you can keep catching them until u run out of pillies.

Could you post a picture of the metal slices that did the damage.

well done, definantly did better then me. :1fishing1:

:1yikes: You suck dude, when are you gonna take me out for some of this action???? I will bring Rum, I promise!! :tease:

How about this Sat mate? Will you be available? We'll do something similar, try for bream and flatties then go hunting for tailor if they are around. Bring plenty of 20gram halcos and raiders

Great report and it sounded like some hot action.

I know a spot in botany bay where they come every year (in winter) and once they are there you can keep catching them until u run out of pillies.

Could you post a picture of the metal slices that did the damage.

well done, definantly did better then me. :1fishing1:

Mate we got eaten out of the boat. Successful lures were in the 10-30gram range and the brands we used were river2sea, spanyd raiders and their surecatch clones, halco twistys and halco slices. Here is a pic of the last lure on board. We got bitten of a lot even with 20lb traces

post-1888-1159096184_thumb.jpg

Been waiting for this report! :biggrin2:

Well done and well deserved after taking me out for a whole day and having no luck for yourself!

Awesome day! :thumbup:

Mike

Thanks mate. Action in the Cowan is heating up. We should do it again soon.

good report mate :thumbup:

some fast paced action is always fun...

i remember what happened last time i saw a bajillion hardyheads in a bay in the cowan :mad3:

CFD

what happened last time ? as there where millions jumping and i was casting lures over to them but no predators :( a few big splashes at night but that is about it

I was smoked by the Cowan resident hoodlum king, after 3 days and 2 nights and not a legal fish... i didn't get a turn back on my reel despite a locked up drag and a rod bent in half!

those cowan kings are huge (some anyway) and i know where they hang out 9 times out of 10..... usually schools of big tailor with them aswell but there bloody hard to get..... the kings that is

well done guys, those are a top size fish for the smoker! Great waterway

dan

When you see George next time ask him how to pick a good time to tie a new trace on, then duck