Forster

swansea_fisho

Gday all,

This is a bit off a long one :1prop:

Day1

The missus and myself arrived up at Forster Caravan park late yesterday arvo and were greeted by the blokes from the fishing club and a strong southerly. As night came the wind dropped and dropped to a nice breeze. With high expectations for the morning we had an early night and were in Noddy Land by 8:30.

Day2

Alarm rang at 5am, through a bucket of water over Kate :1prop: jokes, rang up the Forster coastal patrol, 10-15knots SE/NE, through the gear in the boat had a cuppa and off we went. Was both excited for me and the missus as it was her first trip out on my knew boat. Headed out through Wallis Lake about 6am, conditions were nice. Met up with the fellas at the Barge just off the bar and collected some Slimies and Yellowtail. No shortage of livies heaps of them out there. We proceeded south, us and a few other boats trolled the coastline from Cape Hawke to the Pinnacle. the missus had first strike as we trolled past a Bommie. A small Bonito on a pink christmas tree lure and she was stoked. Five minutes later and it was my turn my little Shimano outfit started Zzzzing a small King which was just under size could of stretched his tail out to 60cm but decided to let the fella go as the missus fell in love with him :074: lol. As we neared the Pinnacle Kates rod buckled over again and another little Bonnie came into the boat.

We arrived at the Pinnacle and floated a few Livies down the burley trail and a few baits on the bottom. Loads of pesky sweep kept bitting there heads off. The first few drops and the Sweep were doubling up on our Paternosters. After unhooking yet another sweep on Kates rig she got a nibble from something which felt a bit different to a Sweep. Turned out to be a nice looking Pearl Perch. Kate had no trouble identifying it and after unhooking it for her and kindly asking her if we could share him for din dins tonight she let out an almighty "NO ARE YOU KIDDING, HIS MINE" :1prop: she placed him in the kill tank. I had a few bumps on my rod and it was my turn a double header of a Sergeant baker on the top and a back to front Nannygai.

Kate soon began feeling quite ill as the condtions became a lil bit bumpier and I took her inshore.

In a matter of minutes I was out there again and after hearing over the radio that my mate Ian had hooked up to a small Grey Nurse(offcoarse it was released) and a few other blokes pulling a mix of Decent kings and Reds aswell as a bloke who had hooked a small Stripe marlin trolling a few fish traps I was as ready as ever.

Again set a few livies out, a few baits on the bottom and rigged up my jig rod. The slimies were getting ripped apart. Both my bottom rigs went off, first to surface was another Nannygai and the second was a nice Reddie 40cm.

The livie was the next thing to be scoffed and I had my first legal King in the kill tank a nice 72cm speciemen.

Called it quits just after 1. Ended up with 4 Snapper 32-40cm, 2 Mowies 35-45cm,2 Nannygai 28-35cm,1 King 72cm a Pearlie 36cm and a leatherjacket 30cm... Was a great day out there a little choppy in the afternoon but was still GREAT.Ready for round 2 tommorrow a solo effort down to Seal rocks with a few other boats.

Cheers guys

Steve

PS Sorry about the long report again :biggrin2:

PPS go the Broncos!!!

I recently started to go up to Forster a few times a year. I'm slowly gaining a feel for the place...

Where is the Pinnacle?

What is it's status now that most of the good spots at the Great Lakes are now Marine Park Sanctuary Zones? (ie "No Fishing")

Richie.

Gday Guys,

This one's a bit shorter fellas :074:

Day 3, here we go :1prop:

Another great day on the water. I was fishing solo today as the missus was still a bit crooke from yesterday.

First stop was the bait grounds and again literally thousands of Slimies under the boat. Trolled south again for 1 Bonnie, 1 Tailor and a Foul hooked Drummer lol.

Headed for seal rocks in the company of a few of the other boys. We were greeted by Big schools of Kings. I'd say 90% were Rats. Boated about 20 odd in no time. They were smashing anything we were throwing at them , Jigs, Sluggos, metal slices and even at one stage a bare hook. Was great fun even though the majority of them went back. Ended up heading back to the pinnacle with 3 Keepers biggest went at 80cm and other two 62cm and 65cm.

Once again the Pinnacle was invaded by Sweep :ranting2: bloody things. Once I got past the sweep I managed to land my first ever Goatfish and a couple of Mowies, spoke to the boys and they reckon that Goatfish are tops on the plate so it should be interesting to try :thumbup: .

Was a great few days up there and can't wait to come back again soon

Cheers Guys

Steve

R_Zee: Mate quite a few reports of Dollies up at Forster, two Blokes headed out wider yesterday and managed a couple each near the shelf & a bloke pulled a small one off the bottom fishing close to the traps this morning. Looks like we'll be in for an early start to the season mate :thumbup:

Richie: The Pinnacles just off Cape Hawke mate about 10 kilometres south of Forster is well known as a breeding ground for Grey Nurse sharks. Pretty easy to find but If you want i'll give you the Gps co-ordinates for it mate.

Really good to see the area firing, I've always had a good time at Seal Rocks.

Richie: The Pinnacles just off Cape Hawke mate about 10 kilometres south of Forster is well known as a breeding ground for Grey Nurse sharks. Pretty easy to find but If you want i'll give you the Gps co-ordinates for it mate.

Thanks mate, I overcame my laziness (I call it "The Law of Conservation of Energy") and I looked on a map and found it :biggrin2:

Only problem is (I just checked) - the Pinnacle and Seal Rocks are both slated to become marine sanctuary zones... No Fishing... :1badmood:

I've just got to get the time to zoom out there and have a go before it is closed off.

Cheers mate!

Richie.