Big Yellowtail

Little_Flatty

Hiyas all,

Anyone know a spot where we can get the bigger yellowtail i.e. cowunyang from the shore?

My mate and I are looking to get a few for the smoker...they are delicious smoked!

Maybe that's why I never catch kingies...whenever I get yellowtail or squid there is no way a kingy can have them! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Mike

I have got big yakkas at molineax point at botany bay. This was from a boat, but it is accessable from the wall landbased. They were not consistent (3 in 2 hours) but they made great strip baits.

I would be better off going for some nice tailor to chuck in the smoker.

good luck.

I have got big yakkas at molineax point at botany bay. This was from a boat, but it is accessable from the wall landbased. They were not consistent (3 in 2 hours) but they made great strip baits.

I would be better off going for some nice tailor to chuck in the smoker.

good luck.

I agree with Domza

I think tailor are best fish to whack in the smoker by far.

Simply rub fillets with salt and brown sugar (VERY important!!), then whack in the smoker and enjoy warm or cold.

Where are you based from and what waterway do you fish??? There have been some massive yakkas hanging around the palm beach jetty recently, and a few squid too - could be worth a dabble - just rememebr to bring heaps of fine oily/smelly berley to really get them going.

Cheers

Pitty

Guest danielinbyron

i used to get them at the ovens. nth gas works , manly near the ferry.. or at darling point east burbs , woolloomooloo off warph... biggest were at the ovens,,.

Cheers fellas,

That's a nice selection of spots you've suggested there. I'll be sure to give them a try.

Yeah tailor are on the menu as well. Kind of kicking myself for steaming the tailor I caught on the Rumboat a few weeks ago...would have been infinitely better smoked and would have lasted longer too. Smoked Yakkas came of a weird experiment we tried a couple of years ago when we'd had a good day catching live bait but a shocker of a day with the JD's! Ever since then I'd keep the sizeable ones for myself.

Been stuck in SP/hardbody land that I'm fearing I've lost the bait fishing touch so I'm going to go back to bait fishing for a bit :wacko:

CFD I'll let you know if I turn up in the area :biggrin2:

Mike

Guest danielinbyron

Cheers fellas,

That's a nice selection of spots you've suggested there. I'll be sure to give them a try.

Yeah tailor are on the menu as well. Kind of kicking myself for steaming the tailor I caught on the Rumboat a few weeks ago...would have been infinitely better smoked and would have lasted longer too. Smoked Yakkas came of a weird experiment we tried a couple of years ago when we'd had a good day catching live bait but a shocker of a day with the JD's! Ever since then I'd keep the sizeable ones for myself.

Been stuck in SP/hardbody land that I'm fearing I've lost the bait fishing touch so I'm going to go back to bait fishing for a bit :wacko:

CFD I'll let you know if I turn up in the area :biggrin2:

Mike

mate i'd be eating the ones caught closest to the heads if they're out of the harbour..i reckon salmon might taste ok smoked too

mate i'd be eating the ones caught closest to the heads if they're out of the harbour..i reckon salmon might taste ok smoked too

Yep definitely agreed (especially seeing as I've eaten my fair share of dioxin fish from the harbour in my lifetime!)

Smoked salmon...yeah that's another idea. Wouldn't tell the family it's smoked salmon though lest they get dissapointed when they discover that it's not the rich pink fillets they are used to!

gday,

another quick recomendation would be clifton gardens (also silver trevs on offer bread burley needed) this place is popular so get there early. other spots include the wharf at balmoral (try the rocky island as well) and around the spit bridge once again a nice bread burley will do the trick. sharp size 10ish hooks work well.

cheers pk

crazedfisherdude the place you are talking about is that Wallys Wharf at the end of Port Hacking Road South?

You sure it's Lilli Pilli because i have been there quite a few times and havent caught much at all, you get the occasional Flounder but havent had luck for a while there now!

As far as i am aware there are no Wharf's or baths in Lilli Pilli

You sure it's Lilli Pilli because i have been there quite a few times and havent caught much at all, you get the occasional Flounder but havent had luck for a while there now!

As far as i am aware there are no Wharf's or baths in Lilli Pilli

Sorry mate, i now see there is,the way i understood your message was right at the end of the road!

Little did i know about the Wharf on the other side, looks like i will be giving it a go now! :thumbup: