Chronarch 50mg

abecedarian

Hey everyone,

Been watching the site for quite a while, finally signed up. It's a top site, best I've found so far!

Anyway, just wondering if anybody had any experience with the shimano chronarch 50mg reels. I've heard they're rated for saltwater use, but being magnesium I wonder how they'd stand up after the outer gloss was a bit worn down.

Cheers,

A.

:1welcomeani: to the site,

Hope you find it as friendly and informative as we do.

As for the Chronarch, I'd be a little skeptical about salt water use being magnesium, especially as the finish begins to wear and you get the inevitable scratches, Though the same with Daiwa Pixy's and i know a bloke who uses one in the salt with no dramas as yet, although time will tell.

With meticulous cleaning, i think this should avoid any potential problem.

Too much of an investment to risk IMO anyway.

I had a Pixy for about a year now (am I the guy Dan? :1prop: ) and haven't had any issues so far. However I'm not sure if it is long enough to comment.

However like Dan says it depends on meticulous cleaning and being extremely vigilant with regard to not scratching it...as soon as you scratch the finish you are in trouble as this is the only protective coating.

When I bought the reel I was educated about the pros and cons and decided that the risks would be worth the benefit (I love my baitcasters).

I guess in a nutshell I'd say you can make it work but if you are not meticulous with your reel maintenance a threadline is probably a better (and cheaper) option.

Thanks for that guys,

Looking after a reel has never been a problem with me, I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to that. Wouldn't go another threadline, I'm a fan of the baitcaster too and looking to upgrade from my Bantum Chromica I got about a decade ago. Anyway, if the pixy seems to be lasting well, the chronarch should too I suppose, so long as it's looked after. They're a nice reel, and small too. That said though, the Curados look pretty good, and they're $100 cheaper.... Tough call.

A.

Just reading through the 2007 shimano catalogue, the Stella series spin reels frames are also magnesuim and they are concidered one of the best spin reels available.

Shimano have a 10 year warranty - and there catalogue states " saltwater-safe magnesium frames"

I would not thing that they would offer that kind of warranty - and say they are saltwater safe if they weren't.

The reason they are made of magnesuim to to cut down on weight.

What is the difference in price between the aluminium frames & magnesuim frames? if its not that much and you were that concerned - buy the aluminium model

Thanks for that guys,

Looking after a reel has never been a problem with me, I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to that. Wouldn't go another threadline, I'm a fan of the baitcaster too and looking to upgrade from my Bantum Chromica I got about a decade ago. Anyway, if the pixy seems to be lasting well, the chronarch should too I suppose, so long as it's looked after. They're a nice reel, and small too. That said though, the Curados look pretty good, and they're $100 cheaper.... Tough call.

A.

Take a look at what fishraider Red did with his Curado:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...c=13022&hl=

Might be worth a thought. If you buy brand new you may end up spending quite a bit but at least you can be very sure it's saltwater proof.

Edited by Little_Flatty

I saw that Little Flatty, it looks pretty good. The only thing is, if I was buying new I may as well go for the Chronarch 100B. They're the same price as the 50mg, and by the time you tricked up a curado you'd probably end up spending the difference anyway. The great thing about the 50mg is their size. Physically they are heaps smaller than the 100B, and lighter, but only hold 5 yards less of 10lb line. Either way, I'm sold on a chronarch.

Do you guys know of any good rods to team the chronarchs up with around the $100-150 mark. Was looking at the Dam Raider which looks pretty nice, but I'm wondering if there are other brands out there that might be more suitable.

A

The great thing about the 50mg is their size. Physically they are heaps smaller than the 100B, and lighter, but only hold 5 yards less of 10lb line. Either way, I'm sold on a chronarch.

Hi matey, i was of the opinion they were exactly the same size?

The spool i used in that little mod came off a Chronarch 50Mg as did all the other parts. You essentially end up with a reel that casts as good as a 50Mg, minus the potential corrosion issues :thumbup:

Cheers

Red