Tarpon ?!?!?!

FletcherG1991

Many years ago Vic McCrystal came down and fished the Port Hacking River and he caught a Tarpon whilst trolling in South West Arm so they do come down this way but as for numbers I wouldn't bank on catching to many

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Hi Guys,

Coming from North Queensland I have caught many Tarpon on fly, lure and plastic and they are a awesome species to catch.

I am very very very very very suprised to hear that Tarpon has been caught around Sydney, as mentioned above, that is just incredible.

Tarpon are what you would call, a welcome catch for their acrobatic peformance, however not for their eating qualities. Tarpon are loaded wtih bones and dont really have a lot of meat on them however the aboriginals around Far North Queensland and predominantly more the remote townships the further north you go, do eat them.

Tarpon eat baits, lures and flies quite welcomingly, however you need to match the hatch. If you are fishing for them in North Queensland, and early morning, you will see a swirl on top of the water and bubbles. The Tarpon actually come up and swallow air to stabilize their bouyancy. The aim of this then, is if you are fishing with a lure of fly is to cast right on the boil. Usually this will result in a strike.

Sizes vary and as the picture below shows, this is a overseas version of a tarpon however in Australia, if you catch one greater than 3 kilos, you will be a very popular little fello / lady. The main sizes are around anywhere from tiddlers of 300 to 500 grams up to a standard size of 900 grams to 1.5kg.

These fish are found all over Darwin etc, and through the east coast of australia but I believe limited to around Noosa / Gold Coast area. This is where you will find greater numbers. They are found in lagoons, rivers, ponds, dams etc.

That is sort of it in a nutshell.

Click here to see a typical Tarpon caught in Australia so you can all have a look of an aussie version. Usually aussie fish mean big, however, in this case, the americans etc have this won this over Australia, they grow horses over there, again as displayed is this topic.

BUt if you have a light light spin stick and want some fun, Tarpon are the go. Note, Owner hooks are suggested based on the tarpons hard bony mouth.

Psssssttt - they also make great dead towed baits for marlin or teasers.

this is a tarpon

gianttarpon.jpg

although the ones in Sydney are MUCH smaller

thanks mate.

gee thats a serious fish

Hi Guys,

Coming from North Queensland I have caught many Tarpon on fly, lure and plastic and they are a awesome species to catch.

I am very very very very very suprised to hear that Tarpon has been caught around Sydney, as mentioned above, that is just incredible.

Tarpon are what you would call, a welcome catch for their acrobatic peformance, however not for their eating qualities. Tarpon are loaded wtih bones and dont really have a lot of meat on them however the aboriginals around Far North Queensland and predominantly more the remote townships the further north you go, do eat them.

Tarpon eat baits, lures and flies quite welcomingly, however you need to match the hatch. If you are fishing for them in North Queensland, and early morning, you will see a swirl on top of the water and bubbles. The Tarpon actually come up and swallow air to stabilize their bouyancy. The aim of this then, is if you are fishing with a lure of fly is to cast right on the boil. Usually this will result in a strike.

Sizes vary and as the picture below shows, this is a overseas version of a tarpon however in Australia, if you catch one greater than 3 kilos, you will be a very popular little fello / lady. The main sizes are around anywhere from tiddlers of 300 to 500 grams up to a standard size of 900 grams to 1.5kg.

These fish are found all over Darwin etc, and through the east coast of australia but I believe limited to around Noosa / Gold Coast area. This is where you will find greater numbers. They are found in lagoons, rivers, ponds, dams etc.

That is sort of it in a nutshell.

Click here to see a typical Tarpon caught in Australia so you can all have a look of an aussie version. Usually aussie fish mean big, however, in this case, the americans etc have this won this over Australia, they grow horses over there, again as displayed is this topic.

BUt if you have a light light spin stick and want some fun, Tarpon are the go. Note, Owner hooks are suggested based on the tarpons hard bony mouth.

Psssssttt - they also make great dead towed baits for marlin or teasers.

The Giant Tarpon is one of Saltwater Flyfishing's Grand-Slam. (The other two are the Bonefish and the Permit). They grow to epic proportions as evidenced by the photo.

They sight-fish them... Can you imagine the buck fever trying to flip a piece of fluff to one of those monters? :drool:

Whats Tarpon?

and where's Flattieman? havent seen him on here for ages!

Good question :wacko:

I think Flattieman may be away on holidays.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi guys! Don't be alarmed - I'm back :074: . As mrsswordie said, I've been up on the Central Coast for 9 days and had some horrific internet access troubles... Long story... not happy... :thumbdown::mad3: Fishing was good, though - so I'm happy. :thumbup: Friday Fishy News will be up soon! (Catch-up version) And just gimme a yell if you want more info on the tarpon, R_Zee. It's good to be back.

Ooh... My 2c worth on tarpon... they lurk in many a coastal lagoon - even in Sydney.... Ssh... :074: It's true, though - people have been pulling the odd tarpon out of 'goons for ages - but I wouldn't advertise it for fishing charters... They're only little ones too...

Flattieman.