Wednseday 5th Oct - Sydney Salmon

ko76

Ive been sponging off this website, reading the forums for info but never contributed so I though its about time I start contributing to this very informative site.

Headed out 430am with a mate to the Spit to try and catch some squid. Been fishing for years but never tried for squid before. Anchored on the eastern side of the bridge not too far from the permanent house boat thing and threw out the jigs. 40 mins later and still no squid. The sun was coming up so headed over to North Head to chase salmon.

Got just outside the heads and found the school. With half a dozen other boats there too. Started throwing out a popper and my mate used a 10g metal slice. Mate hooks up but after a short fight looses the fish to find the treble hook pulled straight. Got a few nudges on the popper but had trouble casting the light weight popper into the wind so switched to a flick bait and was on in no time. Short fight later a 55cm Salmon in the boat. Kept chasing the school for the next couple of hours having a ball! Boated 3 Salmon and lost plenty more on light tackle. Salmon ranged from 55cm - 65cm. A change of tactics was the plan so started a troll up north head in hope for some Bonnies or Kings. No luck on either but got another 65cm Salmon.

Had enough of the wind and medium swell so headed back to the newly renovated yellow marker just inside north head. Dropped a few baits down but the only keeper was one leather jacket. Moved over to Clifton Gardens and later Clontarf for a few throw backs also.

All in all a great day because I wasnt at work, had a :beersmile: the weather was good and we caught a few fish.

PS - Has anyone had much luck with the Kingies lately I know they usually show up a bit later in Nov but was wondering if they might start up earlier due to the warmer than usual water.

Also, can anyone recommend a reliable squid ground in north or middle harbour. I need to master this squidding art for the Kingfish summer!

Here's a few photos by my budding photographer mate.

post-1708-1160046949_thumb.jpg post-1708-1160046967_thumb.jpg

Edited by ko76

Very nice first report there mate. :biggrin2:

Love the piccy of the boil with the birds on it... Looks great - Nice Salmon in the other pic as well.

Sorry I can't help with your squid questions but someone will be able to point you in the right direction I'm sure.

Cheers

Good report,

I dont squid much in Middle harbour but have heard that Balmoral near the wharf can be productive aswell as the wharf near the manly aquarium.

The kings are around just not in great numbers, They will start to flow into the harbour as soon as the bluewater does

Hello ko76

I was out there at the same time. The boils and birds were amazing. This time last year the salmon were a lot more co-operative though. I guess it varies from day to day as well.

I think I can help a bit with your questions.

I've caught squid at the reefy area on the north west end of Balmoral and just east of the northern end of middle head.

If you read my blurb on this site entitled "north head wednesday" you will read about what was probably a kingfish hookup at northerners reef which is about 2 NM off north head. It may have just been a big "resident" fish since there wasn't much showing up on my sounder.

Hope you get some of those Kingies. I'm still a kingfish virgin. I even went to Lord Howe Island, which is like "Kingy heaven", for my honeymoon and they weren't biting that week. Maybe they have an allergy to me and smell me coming and vacate the whole area. :mad3:

reeltired

You can catch squid just about anywhere there is some weed or kelp. You often have to search around a bit to find them. The best depth for me is between 2-8 meters. They can be found in deeper water but it is hard to reach the bottom. But I know plenty of people who target the larger squid in these deeper water.

You can try south head, camp cove, middle head and anywhere there is a bit of light at night.

By the way the kingies are around all year. THey are not in great numbers in the harbour but tend to be larger fish. The best one this winter in the harbour for me was an 8kg fish.If you want large numbers in cold weather then the reefs in 70-100 meters of water tend to produce the goods with jigs.

I hope this helps

Cheers Kelvin