Man Dead After Being Swept Off Beach

mrmoshe

ONE man has died and a teenage boy is in a critical condition after being swept off rocks at a beach in Sydney's south east.

A third man is in a stable condition in hospital after being rescued from the water near Malabar Beach about 3pm (AEST) today.

Four men were fishing off rocks at Boora Point when two of the men were swept into the ocean, a NSW Police spokesman said.

"A third man dived in after to rescue the men," the spokesman said.

All three had to be rescued by lifeguards after struggling in deep water about 40m off the beach, a Westpac Helicopter spokeswoman said.

One man died at the scene while a 17-year-old boy had to be airlifted to Sydney's Prince of Wales Hospital.

He remained in a critical but stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The third man, 18, was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital by ambulance and was in a stable condition, the spokeswoman said.

The age of the deceased man is not yet known.

Terrible news

you wont see me fishing from the stones without one of those inflatable PDF's

Yes, those inflatable PDF's are a great idea for anyone fishing from the stones. Just make sure

they are the "manual" type and not automatic inflation as they will

pop as soon as they detect water..even from spray or heavy rain, and they are buggers

to get recharged.

I see the manual ones on ebay for around $90.

A small price to save a life I reckon.

Pete.

Tragic indeed, you really need to know the power of the ocean, never, ever turn your back on the ocean, also, if you don't know, don't go. My thoughts go to the family of the deceased, never underestimate the risks you face on the edge of the ocean. I've been rockhopping for 40 years and I will never abandon these simple rules.

Edited by Yoda

ONE man has died and a teenage boy is in a critical condition after being swept off rocks at a beach in Sydney's south east.

A third man is in a stable condition in hospital after being rescued from the water near Malabar Beach about 3pm (AEST) today.

Four men were fishing off rocks at Boora Point when two of the men were swept into the ocean, a NSW Police spokesman said.

"A third man dived in after to rescue the men," the spokesman said.

All three had to be rescued by lifeguards after struggling in deep water about 40m off the beach, a Westpac Helicopter spokeswoman said.

One man died at the scene while a 17-year-old boy had to be airlifted to Sydney's Prince of Wales Hospital.

He remained in a critical but stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The third man, 18, was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital by ambulance and was in a stable condition, the spokeswoman said.

The age of the deceased man is not yet known.

A follow up on this tragic story in today's Australian.

Final act of a hero

A SYDNEY man who drowned in an attempt to save two rock fishermen from boiling seas, will be nominated for a posthumous bravery award.

Tu-Binh Ly became a victim of the most dangerous recreational pastime in NSW when he dived into two-metre waves off rocks at Malabar Beach last Saturday.

About seven rock fishermen are killed annually despite moves in recent years to install safety features at dangerous fishing spots.

Last week anglers continued to ignore threatening seas and risked their lives by fishing from the rocks where Mr Ly died.

Mr Ly was fishing with two friends - Jimmy Ngo and Thuan Dinh - when a big wave washed Mr Ngo off the rocks near Boora Pt around 3pm.

Mr Dinh dived in after him but quickly got into trouble, followed by Mr Ly as his distraught girlfriend dialled triple-0.

An ambulance was initially wrongly directed to nearby Maroubra Beach, where two lifeguards took to the water before discovering the correct location of the incident some seven minutes later.

When beach inspectors Kevin Davidson and Josh Maree arrived at Malabar aboard a jet ski, they found the three men floating among fishing equipment 75m from a rock shelf.

"One bloke was floating (on his back) and was breathing like a fish with two arms out,'' Mr Maree recalled last week.

"Another was face down with his head about half a foot under the water, and across from him again was another guy who was in dire straits - he was going under.''

After a quick triage assessment, Mr Davidson dived in and hauled one breathing victim on to a sled behind the ski.

He pinned the exhausted man by lying on him face down and hooked the dead man's armpits behind his knees.

Meanwhile, Mr Maree untangled the third patient from fishing line and hauled him up.

He said the dead man had suffered serious wounds after being smashed against rocks.

Surf Lifesaving Australia spokesman Sean O'Connell said the heroic fishermen would be considered for a posthumous meritorious award.

"SLSA's meritorious awards recognise surf lifesavers and members of the public who have demonstrated outstanding deeds of bravery,'' he said.

Police have expressed their support for such a move.

"It's an heroic act to dive into the water in an attempt to save another person's life,'' Acting Inspector Winston Woodward of Maroubra Police said.

Rock anglers continued to ignore dangerous seas last week despite the Malabar fatality and another incident in which fishermen were swept into the sea at Clovelly.

Meanwhile, brothers Manuel and Pablo Gonzalez fished between Bronte and Tamarama on Tuesday despite the death of their uncle while rock fishing several years ago.

"Today it's rough but it's not coming over us,'' Manuel, wearing rock cleats and enjoying a beer, said. "We have been fishing here for a long time.''

Bronte lifeguard Terry McDermott kept an eye on the brothers after closing Bronte early in the day.

"No professional lifeguard worth their salt would be at ease on patrol if a rock fisherman is there most of the day,'' he said.

Angel ring lifebuoys have helped prevent 24 similar drownings in the past 10 years.

The Australian National Sports Fishing Association has installed 80 rings at popular coastal fishing spots and produced DVDs and other educational material in foreign languages. But there are no rings at the scene of Saturday's tragedy.

"We need help from the Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean communities to get all our translated material out there into their communities,'' National Safety Officer Stan Konstantaras said.

"If you can't swim, don't fish on rocks - find a more sheltered location to fish and always wear a life jacket.''

Meanwhile, brothers Manuel and Pablo Gonzalez fished betweenonte and Tamarama on Tuesday despite the death of their uncle while rock fishing several years ago.

"Today it's rough but it's not coming over us,'' Manuel, wearing rock cleats and enjoying a beer, said. "We have been fishing here for a long time.''

Beer & rock fishing are a very bad mix. :thumbdown:

If these two continue they will end up the same way as their uncle.

What does it take for people to learn? :wacko:

Cheers,

Grant.

Guest danielinbyron

RE THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN

Allot of us carry knowlege as australians and beach culture poeple that we can take for granted:

this is not the case for all australians: as they may not have been raised near a beach or even in this country.

So they may or may not know the hazzards ..

They may believe its a case of conquering there fear , rather than an aquired knowledge....

IE: they may not have heard a million times . never turn ya back on the sea.

watch it and watch it some more ... if its iffy its not on..

get wet don't run...plant ya feet and cop it sweet..

if you do go in.

swim out... not in....allot of drownings from rock fishing occur from getting bashed against the rocks

life jackets will not protect you from being knocked unconscious on the rocks...

if you can .. lose ya clothes quickly{ particularly wet weather gear} and keep ya boots..I wear a floating wet weather jacket -t shirt shorts and purpose made rock hoppers.. mostly, but strip to the shirt when i'm hot..but down south poeple tend to need to rug up more..

don't dive in after some one

unless your completely confident...encourage them to swim out stay calm and get help...

this would be the hardest thing to do... but it makes no sense... if you swim out and get caught in a rip someones gotta raise the alarm ...

I had to go and get someone who'd gone in the drink and made it back in bleeding recently: they'd left there mobile high up on the ledge: and called me in the middle of my dinner saying they'd lost there caplight , there boots and they were cut:freak wave while trying to get crab bait..and i was the only person they knew who knew where to getem.. no worries how bad is it do u need an ambulance: NO

i got spare boots and ran out with a torch , up the beach round the rocks and they were cut pretty bad but not deep: i got em to get moving before they got too stiff to..carried there gear{ of which there was way too much} and took them to the hospital..At first i thought they he was in shock but half way back to the car, i got a whiff ... and he'd been drinking...

i was a bit peaved and i could have been a real dick about it but....but hey they just didn't know any better... thats what there father did thats what they did...

i did talk to them about it and took them fishing a couple of times and showed them how light i travel and insisted on them being sober..

I've also gone in the drink crossing a narrow bit of rock from what seemed like a harmles little wave.. doubled up came back ramped up and tossed me like a rag doll... 12 stitches from barnacles..

that was my warning for getting cocky!!i don't want to find out if ya get two..

she is big and she is powerful ...

we are not.

sad day. He must have been a brave man and a good friend.

Edited by danielinbyron

They should have known the hazards

i agree to disagree i think rock fishos should be more scrutinised in regrads to fishing off the rocks.

more people die from rock fishing in australia than any other sport in australia.

1 death every 6 weeks.

more education is needed before these un educated people jump on these death traps