Murray Cod

hi

I was staying at my inlaws on a property near the Macquarie River ( Narromine ) and tried my hand at inland river fishing. Talked to the guy at the Tackle shop in Dubbo and got the low down on what to use and the species i may catch. He suggested spinner lures or 4/O hookes on a paternoster rig with live yabbies or shrimps.

Tried the spinner for a while but got nothing ( i was land based and i think i just didn't get close enough to the structures on the other side of the river ) Caught only two yabbies, tried those and still nothing. Anyway just before sunset finally resorted to my emergency bait- chicken fillet and on the first cast landed a Murray cod about 60cm :thumbup: my first murray cod. Two casts later bingo, one slightly larger. Caught my third smaller one just on dark :biggrin2: all on chicken breast.

Its still closed season till December on Murray cod so all where released.

Going to the inlaws is not so bad now that i can go fishing when we go there.

PS

I hope i didn't make it sound like the guy at the tackle shop had no idea because he was very helpful and took a lot of time ( even when other customers walked into his shop ) to walk me thru the whole process and i'm sure would not have caught anything without his help.

Good going with the Murray Cod !!! My money would have been on you catching a redfin, carp or perch, but to land 3 Murray Cod is awesome. And on chicken fillet !!! Would not have even thought about using that inland !!! Was it just plain chicken fillet or did you put parmesan or other smelly stuff on it?

I agree with Jewhunter, they are a beautiful fish and I hope they can survive the decline of our inland waterways and hold off the foreign pests like carp and redfin.

Well done 1975,

I will be going out Dubbo way in the next 5-6 weeks to take my son to the Zoo.

I may just have to pack my rods now. :1fishing1:

What sort of set up were you fishing with?

got the photos uploaded( Hope they attach)

Used plain chicken breast fillet, When do you use chicken with smelly stuff like parmesan on it- what fish do you target?

My gear is nothing fancy just @^(() specials- one rod 7-8ft had 20lb main with 30lb leader the other was a shimano telescopic 6ft with 10lbs main and 20lbs leader. Caught the two biggies on the bigger rod and the small one on the telescopic.

try again....... sorry keep getting error message about file or attachment size but its only a 400kb photo, will keep trying!! anyone got any ideas?

heckendorfmortgage, aren't you clsoer to Trangie :biggrin2: ????

Send the pictures to rzep@netspace.com.au

and I will post them for you if you like.

post-963-1160365235_thumb.jpg

Edited by rzep

good work 1975

i lived in wello for a while about 15 years ago and fished the macquarie for cod, but never caught any, only rotten carp, although they do fight well. never thought to try chicken fillet. a friend of mine catches bream in the salt with chicken fillet. it helps to think outside the square in all types of fishing.

I have been a guest at this site for a short while and had to sign up after seeing

this post as I am a local to this area. Closed season means closed season as it is illegal

to take or attempt to take cod during this time and by using chicken fillets cod were

the only fish being targeted. During closed season if a male leaves the eggs unguarded

they are more likely to eaten by predators while he is gone and after being caught

he may not return to the nest. There have also been reports that the female may absorb her eggs if caught during the breeding season, If a cod is accidently caught and then released they should never

leave the water while being unhooked and especially not left lying on the bank for who knows

how long while photos are being taken as they may swim away ok but survival rates

after that ordeal are not very high. So we would appreciate if visitors to our river system

took the time to read the freshwater fishing rules and guidelines to ensure that this wonderful

fish species doesnt dissappear for ever, it has enough trouble dealing with the huge amounts of carp

, thats why we declare closed cod season war on carp.

Hi

The last thing i want to do is cause any fish to disappear, and as many people know i am a very new fisherman and targeting one particular species is still out of my league!. I just wanted to catch something!

I thought i had done the right thing and talked to the local expert about fishing the Macquarie. The tackle shop guy just mentioned that the cod is not to be taken as the season had not started and if i had known the damage i may do by pulling them out of the water to take a photo i certainly would not have done that. This is the first time i have read that this can happen.

anyway sorry if i did the wrong thing, now i and other fishraiders know this, it won't happen again :(

Hi

The last thing i want to do is cause any fish to disappear, and as many people know i am a very new fisherman and targeting one particular species is still out of my league!. I just wanted to catch something!

I thought i had done the right thing and talked to the local expert about fishing the Macquarie. The tackle shop guy just mentioned that the cod is not to be taken as the season had not started and if i had known the damage i may do by pulling them out of the water to take a photo i certainly would not have done that. This is the first time i have read that this can happen.

anyway sorry if i did the wrong thing, now i and other fishraiders know this, it won't happen again :(

Well done 1975 ,you have taken the above into your kit now for future reference and thats great .

When new anglers come on board many of them find it hard to know all the rules and regulations.

We all learn something new every day ,whilst we enjoy this great pastime of ours ,FISHING :yahoo:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Sounds like takle shop owners could help new comers by letting them know a few more regulations than just telling you how to catch a fish. handing out the guidlines booklet to new comers and out of towners might make things alot easier and ensure our great native fish numbers keep growing.

Sounds like takle shop owners could help new comers by letting them know a few more regulations than just telling you how to catch a fish. handing out the guidlines booklet to new comers and out of towners might make things alot easier and ensure our great native fish numbers keep growing.

There's a job for 'ya fresho. :thumbup:

Lobb into the local tackle shops in your area and give 'em the run down on educating newcomers and those that aren't sure. :biggrin2:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky