Did Anyone Get Caught In The Strong Winds

locodave

I read the reports before i headed out. I knew there was going to be a strong change but it stated late afternoon.

I was fishing at lion island, and I don't have much experience at all with my 4.5 metre boat, I only purchased it recently. Anyway it's around 12.30pm, and i hear this gust of wind come through, the water begins to ripple instantly and i look around, there are no boats around (now i know why) and there are mini hurricanes on the water. I reeled everything in immediately, started to head out and soon as i got around the island, it was just scary!

Huge waves, waves crashing as if they were on the beach, I must admit i was pretty scared thinking the boat might tip over because the waves where by far the biggest I've ever seen around.

Was so glad to make it back to shore!!

:yahoo: We did catch a lot of fish though, but not worth your life!

When big changes come through, they pass this over the radio don't they?

Yes, you sure have to be careful.

Flatieman (thanks Flattie) passed this website onto me a while back and it is pretty accurate

at predicting winds. It has the winds blowing up at right on noon yesterday.

Worth taking a look at as well as the BOM and other weather sites.

Pete.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw.asp

Locodave,

I check the weather and wind report before every outing and I recommend that you do the same.

I find that If I do that then I can always make it back to the ramp without any dramas at all.

You can then plan your trips around the weather, although there is always a need to stay vigilant whilst out on the water as unexpected weather changes are not all that un-common.

Always keep an eye on what the other boats are doing also, If you find that you are suddenly out there alone when there was pelnty of fishos around you earlier then this would normally mean that something is going to happen.

P.S. Pete I also use that site and find it great and very accurate.

Regards

Paul.

Loco,

Very lucky mate!!!

Rzep & i were meant to head out yesterday ourselves but he txt me on saturday arvo & told me of the predicted winds. Whilst it was calm in the morning he had done his homework.

So whilst having a few :beersmile: & watching the great race with the inlaws, my f-in law said exactly what you encountered - "wonder how many blokes got caught with that".

So what Rzep says is a good rule of thumb, just be aware - maybe tie a piece of wool on your areial so you can pick up the wind a bit easier??? I have a piece on there.

(damn i hate agreeing with rzep :mad3: )

I wasnt out in it but nearly lost my boat. Neighbours tree came down and missed it by less than a metre. SES had to come and break it up. Definitely made my decision easy (must insure boat)

Yea you should, especially when it so cheap compared to a car!

Mate always get the latest update, i checked yesterday morning on BOM and it said the southerly will hit port jackson at Noon and it was spot on.

You should of checked the Wind Warning section which is much more accurate

Good to see you got in Safely

My husband and I was on Botany Bay yesterday we did the right thing and listened to all the updated weather reports on the radio and keeping an eye on the weather and other boats. I just caught a nice flattie and said I think it’s time to go and WHOSH up it came.

We were at the end of the runway. I felt rather safe thought of it as a roller coaster ride, we very cautious in our 4.8 savage ranger and put our life jackets on. We had waves coming over the bow, over the side and outran the ones about to come over the back. We were soaked by time we got in the river. Sorry no photos my camera and handbag were safely in plastic (the only things left dry on the boat).

My husband suggested I sit on the floor at the back to keep the bow up as he was worried about the size of the waves and also about being rolled over by the waves on the side.

We kept a close watch on another boat a bit smaller than ours to make sure he got back safely he was following the runway wall and kept disappearing in the swell. There were more coming in. Thankfully we all got back to a very crowded boat ramp safely. From now on I don’t want to be on anything smaller than the Pacific Princess in that type of weather. We saw some tinnies earlier in the day hope the got out early.

4x4’s have training on how to manage in certain conditions. Are there any courses where you can learn how to manage your boat in seas like that?

:1badmood:

My husband suggested I sit on the floor at the back to keep the bow up as he was worried about the size of the waves and also about being rolled over by the waves on the side.

an easier way to keep the bow up is to trim the motor out a little way but that has to be balanced out with the fact that the higher the bow is the more wind it catches and the lighter your steering gets.

if you google "sydney boating course" you will find many places that do licence courses which have on water practical sessions.

i just had a look at weatherzone and yesterday at midday the wind swung to the south and was blowing at 38kts gusting to 45kts :1yikes: and stayed in the mid to high 20's for the rest of the day, i wouldnt be out on the bay in a 25 footer in those conditions.

I read the reports before i headed out. I knew there was going to be a strong change but it stated late afternoon.

I was fishing at lion island, and I don't have much experience at all with my 4.5 metre boat, I only purchased it recently. Anyway it's around 12.30pm, and i hear this gust of wind come through, the water begins to ripple instantly and i look around, there are no boats around (now i know why) and there are mini hurricanes on the water. I reeled everything in immediately, started to head out and soon as i got around the island, it was just scary!

Huge waves, waves crashing as if they were on the beach, I must admit i was pretty scared thinking the boat might tip over because the waves where by far the biggest I've ever seen around.

Glad you made it back in one piece!! If you are new to boating I suggest you always check the weather on www before you leave. Its also worth investing in a VHF or 27 meg radio and getting on the day log of coastal patrol or the coast guard. Coastal patrol Sydney regularly broadcasts weather which they will announce on CH 16 (VHF) before switching to a working channel. I too only have a smalll boat and I never ever venture outside without looking at the weather charts for the entire day prior to going out. There was a strong wind warning issued by BOM earlier in the weekend. Good luck with your new boat.

davo

I hear you mate, we got caught around at Manly....We new it was coming but did not think it was going to come so quickly...We were just about to finish up and head home when the wind came up, we quickly wound our rods in and got going.....abit of a splash and dash to get home. We were in my mate Haines 4.6 and after the experience of those conditions im sold "Great Boats". Had the bilge on nearly the whole way and had to take it real slow heading south then as we came around into the heads we started surfing the waves we could speed things up a bit.

Happy to get home and have a shower and beer to watch the last hour of Bathurst.