Advise On Kingies

bowie

Hey Guys...Matt here....

Ummm i have been King :1fishing1: a few times and only had success when i went out with one of my dads mates who seems to know what he is doing... However when i go out with my dad and we try to replicate what he does when we go out with him we never turn up with much..(if anything at all) :1badmood:

SO

i was wondering if anyone has any GENERAL advice or TIPS on how to catch me some Kingies :biggrin2:

If anyone is able to help me with this topic i would be much appr3ciated as would my dad :thumbup:

So give me a :yahoo: with some advice and tips and pretty soon i will hopefully be :074: when i am waist deep in Kingies :biggrin2:

Cheers Matt :thumbup:

Guest danielinbyron

Are you fishing the same structure as your friend..

The reason i ask is there not that tricky..

its just that sometimes they just aren't there..

i haven't done much deep jigging but have caught them live baiting on blades poppers trolling laser pros . or pink squid and or on a downrigger or feathers of rocks ...the hardest part is finding them... they're pretty agressive fish..

Hey Guys...Matt here....

Ummm i have been King :1fishing1: a few times and only had success when i went out with one of my dads mates who seems to know what he is doing... However when i go out with my dad and we try to replicate what he does when we go out with him we never turn up with much..(if anything at all) :1badmood:

SO

i was wondering if anyone has any GENERAL advice or TIPS on how to catch me some Kingies :biggrin2:

If anyone is able to help me with this topic i would be much appr3ciated as would my dad :thumbup:

So give me a :yahoo: with some advice and tips and pretty soon i will hopefully be :074: when i am waist deep in Kingies :biggrin2:

Fish really really light to start with on shallow grounds. I never use more than 10 kg line with only a pea sized sinker at first before moving up to heavier line if they keep taking me into the reef. Kings do tend to be smart asses when it comes to heavier line. Burley( a little bit often). I save all my old bread and rice and mix it with shell grit before leaving the ramp. The majority of my Kingies have been taken on fresh fresh squid. I also have found that the kings move in for only about 15 mins at a time then move off again. They will come back again once or twice. An unweighted (floater) biat right back in the burley trail also works a treat for Kings. With the above methods you also stand a good chance of catching good reddies as they love to move up in the water column to follow the burley and theres nothing more pleasing than getting back to the ramp a box of with reddies and kingies when everyone else has a couple of flathead and a few sweep.

Good luck matt you'll get your kingies sooner or later. You just need to find the places where Kingies frequent.

KIngs are easy to get if you know where to find them and what to do.

Im not a big beliver in fishing light line, i have caught many with 40lb +.

The key is too move around and find them, normally i will rotate between 3-4 spots and by the time im finish the rotation one spot has delivered and i only spend 5 minutes at each spot.

With kings there really isnt much you need to know, But you do have to do the right preparation work and present your bait right, The theory of " well they might not be there" is a cop out, i have seen 10 people fishing for kings at a spot without getting a touch and whilst they are there i pull 4 kings from right in front of them. Kings are there all you have to do is find a way to get them on the bite.

Once you get the hang of catching them it will become childsplay and you will have multiple kingy days in no time, to the point you get bored of catching them.

Techniques like the ones posted will get you kings on occasions but if you want to get many kings per trip you have to be proactive not reactive.

All i can say is keep trying and dont give up, we are coming up the what i think will be the best king season in years due to all the early signs.

Ok thanks for thae advie guys :biggrin2:

Speaking of how to present the bait the right way can anyone tell me which IS the right way to present it for a Kingie :1prop:

And also any spots where it is always possible to pick up a Kingie or two would be much appreciated :biggrin2:

Bowie, I have caught Kingies at the following locations:

Top end of Manly Cove - the side near Forty Baskets beach - there is a reef there with a marker.

Quarantine Head just inside North Head and Cannae Point next to it.

The Wedding Cakes and at Clifton Gardens

The point on the southern end of Manly Beach ( outside the heads)

The Manly Cove spot is also a good spot for yakkas. We've caught a few kingies there with a line out while we were catching livies, just a single 4.0 hook and a tasty strip of fresh squid, although Manly Cove can be a bit annoying as it is definately snapper kindergarten.

Depends on where you live and how easy these places are to get to.

Good luck and remember, minimum length is 60 cms.

Ok thanks for thae advie guys :biggrin2:

Speaking of how to present the bait the right way can anyone tell me which IS the right way to present it for a Kingie :1prop:

And also any spots where it is always possible to pick up a Kingie or two would be much appreciated :biggrin2:

Matt

AS flat as possibl so it doesn't spin. Out of a respectable sized squid you can get about 6 baits.

1) The head/tentacles or candles

2) the guts 9the ink is an excellent burley)

3) Cut the mantle into about four triangular shaped pieces and slice little tails in the ends so they flap in the current.

Yeh ok thanks for that advice guys i will probably be planning a Kingie trip with my dad soon and if we have any available room in the boat i will deffinatly post on the forums for any people who wish to come with us :biggrin2:

Hope to hear from you all again soon

I am planning to head out to Sydney Harbour this sunday!!!!

Anyone heading out?

Your not planning a fishing trip and not inviting me are you Roy?

Guest Sea Jay

I am keen as mustard for the kings this year. Cant wait to get among them

Bowie i am in the same boat as you i got a few over summer last year but this year i want to nail them and get more than one in a trip which is the most i was able to catch last year

Good luck mate looking foward to hearing a good report

I am keen as mustard for the kings this year. Cant wait to get among them

Bowie i am in the same boat as you i got a few over summer last year but this year i want to nail them and get more than one in a trip which is the most i was able to catch last year

Good luck mate looking foward to hearing a good report

Cheers.. :yahoo:

You too mate hope all goes well for you....If i am able to organisee it we may be able to go out at the same time and nail the Kingies at the same time :thumbup:

Your not planning a fishing trip and not inviting me are you Roy?

Lets See Paul,

How about you tell Mrs Rzep that you are going fishing on Sunday!!!! :tease:

& What about Saturday??? I dont believe you extended the same invo as i did to you :mad3: ......lol

I fish for kingies almost everytime I go out. Since the banning of the kingfish traps they have come back in good numbers.

I'm not too sure about fishing too light. I like to land the kings I hook!! I never fish lighter than 30lb braid and normally have 50lb and up to 80lb braid. I always use a fluoro carbon leader depending of the bottom-normally 50-100lb as this stuff is the most abrasion resistent stuff there is.

I like to downrig for kingies as you are then hunting them down and not waiting for them to come to you. Also slow trolling livies on sinkers or floaters work real good. You'd be amazed where these fish turn up sometimes.

BUT the best advice when it comes to kings is to become good at catching squid! :1prop:

cheers Kelvin

I fish for kingies almost everytime I go out. Since the banning of the kingfish traps they have come back in good numbers.

I'm not too sure about fishing too light. I like to land the kings I hook!! I never fish lighter than 30lb braid and normally have 50lb and up to 80lb braid. I always use a fluoro carbon leader depending of the bottom-normally 50-100lb as this stuff is the most abrasion resistent stuff there is.

I like to downrig for kingies as you are then hunting them down and not waiting for them to come to you. Also slow trolling livies on sinkers or floaters work real good. You'd be amazed where these fish turn up sometimes.

BUT the best advice when it comes to kings is to become good at catching squid! :1prop:

cheers Kelvin

Ok thanks for that Advice Kelvin :biggrin2:

Hope to hear from you again soon