Can Someone Help?

Mattdiy

G'day Mattdiy

I can't give you a definitive answer, because I don't know what sort of fish you're going to be targetting and where. Trout in the fresh, bream and flathead in an estuary, pelagics offshore?

Your best bet would be to get in touch with a reputable tackle shop, prefereably one that has a range of fly tackle, and one that has staff who have some fly fishing experience. Let them know where you're going to be fishing, and what species of fish you want to catch, and they should be able to come up with something for you.

Site sponsor ABA stock fly gear, so they should be able to sort you out, plus you get the discount for being a Fishraider. :biggrin2:

I picked up my first fly combo from Alpine Angler. It's a package that includes a 6/7 weight Innovator Distance rod, combined with a Scientific Angler Concept reel. The line and backing came with it, all for about $300. It's not the best outfit I've fished with, but for the price it's a pretty good place to start out for light estuary fishing (bream and flathead).

Best of luck with it mate. Just remember to wear sunnies and a hat to protect yourself from any wayward flies. :thumbup:

Shane

Can anyone recommend a decent low priced rod and reel for fly fishing?

Hope someone can advise me.

Thanks

Matt

Hey Matt,

Just spoke with Tony from Fishfinder and apparently VIVA make a nice starting out fly rod and Tony would probably be able to help you out with a reel, Fishfinder is a sponsor of this great Fishraider web site and if you click on his banner it will take you to Tony's contact info.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Matt,

When i started fly fishing 3yrs ago i brought a gillies combo for about $250. It is 6/7 weight 9'.

Came with a graphite reel and the action can best be described as SLOW, but it was perfect for me when i started out and i still use it on accasions despite owning more expensive models. I have heard the innovator combo's are pretty good as well.

Combo's usually come with a WF floating line of some sort so you realy just need a tapered leader 9', tippet material and flys.

I would suggest getting some instruction on casting either from a guide, video or from someone who knows how to do it.

I joined the Sydney flyrodders Club and this provided immense help in finding fish and learning to fly fish.

What species do you want to target?

Cheers

BM

I joined the Sydney flyrodders Club and this provided immense help in finding fish and learning to fly fish.

Golden words there.

The guy's in the club will let you cast their rods and give you some instruction. There is also some really good second hand gear available on occasions.

BM, I'm a member too... How often do you go?

Richie.

Can anyone recommend a decent low priced rod and reel for fly fishing?

Hope someone can advise me.

Thanks

Matt

How low is low? You can get those made by Shakes.peare for less than a 100 bucks, but will most definitely be looking for something else pretty soon. Like many say, get the best rod you can afford. At a recent sale there were Innovators going for 150 (RRP 300-399). I think they offer tremendous value for that price.

Some other rods that you might want to check out are: Winston Ascent, Sage Fli, TFO & Redington CPS.

Edited by swordfisherman

Hi guys , I have just started flyfishing myself and was in a similar predicament to yourself not so long ago. I already owned an innovator distance 9ft 2 piece 6/7weight rod being a gift from a friend. I chose a rather cheap reel (50$) A MARKSTONE MAROKA because the reel is basically just a line holder in most trout fishing situations. I then purchased the best quality line that I could afford, a Jim Teeny weight forward floating line in a 7 weight. Another good line for a beginner is a double taper line as when one end gets worn you can reverse the line and get double the use out of it. Once I had all my gear I put it all away until I could afford to get some lessons and learn the right way the first time. I saved up enough cash to spend a day with Jeff Brown of riverlands flyfishing for some private casting lessons and although somewhat expensive I thought it was worth every cent. I can now comfortably cast almost all my flyline and have caught 2 rainbow trout to date. Do yourself a favor and get some lessons of a competent person before you frustrate yourself trying to do it on your own. cheers troutboy :1fishing1: