Home Made Lures

Guest DV8

Has anyone had any success with home made lures??I have been buiding a few. They swim well and they are not all that hard to make. if anyone wants to exchange ideas i will galdly post pics of what I have done.

Cheers

davo

Guest danielinbyron

Has anyone had any success with home made lures??I have been buiding a few. They swim well and they are not all that hard to make. if anyone wants to exchange ideas i will galdly post pics of what I have done.

Cheers

davo

hey mate ... i'm v interested in home made lures.... my conditions are that they must be cheap, quick to make and work.../i posted one up recently but have a number of recipes.... what are you hoping to lure for..

Guest danielinbyron

my experience is... anything worth doing is worth doing badly to start with...

some of my first attempts at feathers were a good bit of comedy...

ie . now that you've made the knife jigs and you know how to and how to improve the last ones materials may appear in hard garbage or at a work site or as part of something tottally unrelated and instead of seeing ie old sash chord weights . you'll see a rainy day in the shed making 10 blades...

we've had comps at home and the simplest lures usually catch the fish..

last winner was 6 inches of green garden hose,small lead at front , bigger at back, two trebs fixed on to tail and hole in guts with double 60lb mono swivel on front... cost $1.40 time 2mins " the green hornet" took out the 2005 home made tailor challenge. could cast it a mile..

be v interested to see yo pics dv8

ah here it was:home made lures

Edited by danielinbyron

Hi everyone and thanks for your feedback and replies

the bad news is that the lures I have been making are not quick but how satisfyying is it to make somthing yoursel and catch fish with it.

The lures I have been making have been basically copies of nilsys. I usually trace the top view and side view onto cardboard and cut them into a template. With the template I trace the shapes onth a piece of cedar.The cedar i use was surprisingly cheap fromj Bunnings.

I then cut the rough shape either with a jig saw or coping saw. After that I shave as close to the basic shape as i can with a Stanley knife or stencil knife before givibg it a final sand into shape.

I have tried other timbers like Pine and Birch and they worked but were difficult to carve and sand. The tow points and eyelets for hooks are pretty easy. Take a piece of stainless wire (my tackle shop gave me some -- thanks Bob at west Gosford) and bend it around a small nail. Then twist and twist the two strands of wire which will sort of create a thread. I cut them off at about 1 inch. Drill a one eighth hole in the positions on the lure where you want the tow point and hooks to sit. Screw the eyelets in with the addition of sellys araldite. These will be incredibly strong (I know you don't think so). I tried to pull a coulple out the other night from and old one I made and I elongated the split rings before they moved.

The bibs were not that difficult either. i am always hunting around for clear plastic/ PET/polycarbonate that is easy to cut with scissors. Initially I just used cordial bottles which actually worked fine. Either trace the bib from another lure or make up your own style. Iusuallt trace a five cent piece which is a good start. Other materials that are good for bibs are clear guitar picks from the guitar shop, or even coloured ones that match your lure. I position them by cutting a slot with a hacksaw blade and againg gluing with araldite.

I have found that painting them is actaually the hardest part (surprisingly). I always undercoat with some thick white house paint first. Using spray cans is a pain inthe arse as you need to wait days in betwen colours. I keep the colours pretty simple for that reason usually only using two. After I have laid my colours down I usually just paint spots or stripes on. I also paint on eyes. You can make scales by using flyscreen or curtain netting (from Spotlight) but I found it a bit too much hassle when having to wait between coats, so i dont bother today. I will get an airbrush one day and try spraying acryllics.

I actaully believe that colours are not all that important, what is more important is the action of the lure. Just look at Tassie devils. The art work is not all that sophisticated. I am een going to try just varnishing the nice timber with no paint work at all.

I always choose to make the bib a bit oversized and I can carefully trim it with a good pair of scissors on my lure's maiden voyage. I also take a pair of pliars so i can tweek the tow point to get the lure swimming straight.

I will try and post a couple of pics tommorrow.

cheers

davo

Guest danielinbyron

"I have tried other timbers like Pine and Birch and they worked but were difficult to carve and sand. The tow points and eyelets for hooks are pretty easy. Take a piece of stainless wire (my tackle shop gave me some -- thanks Bob at west Gosford) and bend it around a small nail. Then twist and twist the two strands of wire which will sort of create a thread. I cut them off at about 1 inch. Drill a one eighth hole in the positions on the lure where you want the tow point and hooks to sit. Screw the eyelets in with the addition of sellys araldite. These will be incredibly strong (I know you don't think so). I tried to pull a coulple out the other night from and old one I made and I elongated the split rings before they moved."

I won't use a lure without a solid through point any more... as i have had the entire back end of a wooden lure give way... after salt water/time abuse...

an alternative is to cut a trench in the belly of the lure and run the wire down it then fill it with builders bog after teminating your split rings..

the cheats way of coloring is to just use the chromiest gold spray you can then finish with a durable clear..

i stick to black , white. and gold... building in rattles is the next challenge.

my favorite model is the halco laser pros, if you are in a tackle store pick one up and study it ... or there catalogue has a split diagram .....they are a very clever design...with the weights/rattles set to run to the back for casting/ tail vibration...they are however hot injected molding.

when i got on to these i changed my home made lure quest to poppers feathers and blades conceiding that i could never do a better job then they have on a minnow..

Edited by danielinbyron