Sydney Kings On The Bite

namesay

I fish heavy as you never know when that hoodlum will show up. My light gear is 30lb braid with 40-50lb fluorocarbon trace. With live squid you need 2 hooks. Normally I use a sliding rig with 7/0 gammies . Have been experimenting with circle hooks. Caught 5 fish for a 100% hook up rate!

When it comes to depth with down rigging I normally start at mid water then adjust depending on conditions.

Hope this helps Cheers Kelvin

Nice fish, photos and report. How deep do you downrig? I have a downrigger that I use for trout and I have played with the idea of using it for saltwater species. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Davo

Any down rigger will do. I used to use one of those "lake trollers" for a couple of years. I still do but I do have a couple of others.

How deep? That is a good question. It really depends on the depth of the water. With kingies when they are on they are often right on the surface. However, these are normally small fish. The larger ones tend to hang a bit deeper. WHen I have plenty of bait I also run a line weighted with a sinker. This is also a deadly rig. They tend to hit it when you turn or stop the boat and the bait starts to sink. ALso I run a bait on the surface if I have plenty of livies.

Generally you should start at mid water. In the harbour the kingies tend to stay from midwater down but if you are in doubt then fish shallower- you lose fewer bombs that way!

Cheers Kelvin