Sydney Kings On The Bite

namesay

This week has been busy as usual but since it is school hols I got my two boys out for a fish. We went out this arvo after work for a quick fish in the harbour. THe wind was a pain but my oldest who is 6 was keen to try out his new fishing rod :1fishing1: . I got him a short stroker with a shimano tekota with 30lb braid. This rod was made just for him as it is a REALLY short short stroker.

Tried to catch squid but only managed one after an hour worth of casting. THe day was getting away from us so we went to downrig for kingies in middle harbour...away from all the blasted wind!! . Up stream of the spit bridge and got the only squid we caught out on the downrigger. Had another rod with a sluggo also on the a downrigger just in case.

About 10 minutes later the squid takes off. The drag was screaming out line at an alarming rate on my son's new rod. Had the drag set at 5-6kg!!!. After a good fight, the kid lands a good king ( with a little help from dad ) :biggrin2: . Weighed it at 7 kg's on my spring scales.

Continued to troll the sluggo to the boat ramp and got another screaming run and another kingie. This was smaller and was only 65 cm.

THe kid was as excited as anything. Couldn't shut him up about his fish. Another good day fishing!

Cheers Kelvin

The sluggo was that funny greeny fluoro colour. I normally use white but they have been hard to get. Best to troll them REALLY far back from the boat.

Yes I have lotsa pictures but can't downsize them. Tried everything and have given up.

On wednesday I played baby sitter and took another kid out. She was 11 and never caught a fish before but we got her a kingie and she still can't sleep!!! It's a great feeling to take kids out and see them land a good fish.

cheers Kelvin

post-2057-1160793937_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1160794124_thumb.jpg

Finally resized the photos. Thanks for everyone who helped me figure this out! I am compeltely computer illiterate!!

Anyway the first fish is 65 and the second fish is 7kg. My son who is holding it is 120 cm. He is legal.

Since the pros have been kicked out of Syd Harbour, the fishing has been as good as I have ever seen. The kings in particular are coming back. I have been getting good kings almost every time we go out. Even in July/August.

There are resident fish in parts of the harbour and in middle harbour. THey are pretty educated as you can imagine. I have seen a few real monster hoods cruising around and refusing everything you chuck at them. Normally they swim in pairs and I would guess they are in the 15-25kg range. They are curious and follow up hooked fish and then disappear.

We got these two fish yesterday around the moorings around Seaforth. You just have to hunt them down and downrigging is a great way to cover a lot of water!

You should try all the drop offs, points, entrance to bays and edges of weed. If you find a bait ball be wary as lately there can be a lot tailer or jackets and they destroy your hard won squid.

Cheers Kelvin

Thanks Rzee. There are a lot of rats in the harbour especially in the coming months. They can be real fun or a real pain depending on what you are after. I try to go for the bigger fish and that means bigger baits set deep. Works for me.

cheers Kelvin