H&c Bay Sat 14th Oct

robthefisherman

Well I managed to steal a couple of hours off of domestic duties today so I decided to head for hen and chicken bay to see what all the fuss was about.

I was running a little late bacause the :wife: found a few more things for me to do before she would unlock the gate and let me out so I arrived around 1.30 and had the first cast in the water about 10 mins later.

Eager to try out the camo worms I whacked it onto a squidy ball head and out she went, fist cast SNAGGED :ranting2: off to a good start so I moved a long a bit and tried again about 15 casts and a few hits but no hookups, i was starting to think that maybe the #4 hook was to big so I changed to a 1/8 berkly jig with a slightly smaller hook but I didn't like the way the worms sat on this jig so I popped on a #3 squidgy wriggler in garry glitter, I looked at my watch and notice the tide had topped and Grant had told me where I should be for the turn so off I went.

First cast and I'm on, in comes a flattie of about 40cm but I didn't get the chance to measure him, I landed him up on the bank and he looked pretty placid so I pick him up to remove the hook when he gives a sudden burst of energy and manages to dislodge the hook spike me twice quite narstily in the side of thumb and land back in the water all in one fluid motion :1yikes:

Ok so now I have a fish on the board so bleeding all over the nice cork grip on my rod I send out the second cast and I'm on again this time a little 30cm model comes ashore, quick pic and she's off swimming again, this continues and first 5 casts results in 3 flatties. Not bad I'm thinking.

There is a few casts in between and I manage to land another 3 all around the 40-45cm mark and drop one a couple of feet from the shore, goes quiet for the next 15 mins so I decide to change colour and go for a jelly prawn wriggler, now flatties aren't the biggest fighters in the world so I had backed my drag right of to try and make it a little sporting so this time first cast on the jelly prawn and its smashed on the drop and line starts peeling of the little shimano, not sure what I'm on to I make a couple of drag adjustments to gain a little contral but not enough to make it too onsided, I had managed to get a bit of line back and it takes another big run and now I'm really wondering what I'm on to after a couple of minutes I see a good size flattie come to the surface but not before she has one last run.

I get her up on the shore and a quick measure reveals a lovely 61cm and a personal best on plastics for me, by now my leave pass is about expired so after a quick pic and a bit of a swim for the big girl to get her energy back both her and I am off home. It was hard to leave the fishies on the bite but I was more than happy with 7 flatties for an hour and 20 mins fishing :yahoo:

So hen and Chicken bay didn't dissapoint I had a bloody great afternoon and come away with a new PB, what more could a bloke ask for, thanks for the tips Grant :thumbup:

post-543-1160813060_thumb.jpg

Edited by robthefisherman

That is bloody fantastic Rob. :yahoo: Well done.

I'm glad I could be of some help. :biggrin2: I thought with the hot weather the Flatties would be on the chew.

1/8th Jighead is a bit heavy & probably why you only got Flatties. I used to fish 1/16th & catch both Bream & Flatties but lately have been using 1/28th with an ultra slow retrieve & have been nailing alot more Bream. The Flatties become ( as your thumb now knows! ) abit of a pain! :074:

Sounds like a top session & congrats on the p.b! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

I'm glad I could be of some help. :biggrin2: I thought with the hot weather the Flatties would be on the chew.

1/8th Jighead is a bit heavy & probably why you only got Flatties. I used to fish 1/16th & catch both Bream & Flatties but lately have been using 1/28th with an ultra slow retrieve & have been nailing alot more Bream.

Ahh yes... as Grant, Lord of H & C Bay mentioned, I find that 1/16oz jigheads is ample weight over the flats... even when you do target those "painful" flatties :biggrin2: ... by the way, when gripping flathead in the mouth, it pays to firmly (but not damagingly) grip the bottom of the flatties mouth between thumb and forefinger - the pressure applied seems to make the flattie much more docile and happy to lie there with your hand in its mouth.

Flattieman.

That is bloody fantastic Rob. :yahoo: Well done.

1/8th Jighead is a bit heavy & probably why you only got Flatties. I used to fish 1/16th & catch both Bream & Flatties but lately have been using 1/28th with an ultra slow retrieve & have been nailing alot more Bream. The Flatties become ( as your thumb now knows! ) abit of a pain! :074:

Sounds like a top session & congrats on the p.b! :yahoo:

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks mate, I'll try the lighter jig next time and see if I can get me some bream too, bloody great spot though I had a ball :thumbup:

Was that you over the other side of the canal near the golf course?

Congrats on the fish 61 is a nice size

I was working just over the other side and took a few flatties as well. There were a few tailor about and i lost a lot of tails.

Saw Ronald and his mate there too.

Yeah that was me, were you with another bloke sitting on the edge?

Yeah I put some watermelon minnows on and the taylor were straight on them, didn't seen to touch the wrigglers though

We need some distinctive raider caps I reckon so we recognise each other, whatdya reckon Stewy and Grant?

Yeah that was me, were you with another bloke sitting on the edge?

Yeah I put some watermelon minnows on and the taylor were straight on them, didn't seen to touch the wrigglers though

We need some distinctive raider caps I reckon so we recognise each other, whatdya reckon Stewy and Grant?

Where that was me (the fat one!)

Good idea about the hats. That was our last spot after working our way around the bay. Great spot for land based fishing. Rarely dissapoints.

Randall

out of interest Grant, what sp's do you use when your targeting the bream there?

3 inch pearl/watermelon bass minnows are my favourite placcies. On the lighter jighead I don't have a problem with the Tailor & Flatties don't mind them either. Jew are also quite partial to them! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.