Honda Outboard Rumors

ETTY

I have "heard" that Honda Outboards (even with their advanced corrosion protection that the company loves to sell it's product by) corrode quite badly in the salt water.

I have been given examples like "they are like a disprin in water."

Can anyone fill me in on their experiences with them and either confirm or deny these rumors as I believe they a truly fantastic engine and I am seriously thinking to buy one of these for my next outboard.

I was truly horrified at this!!! :1yikes:

You can either believe this or not , Im still undecided myself , but a certain reputable dealer of non Japanese engines explained to me that the Japanese are using a lot more copper in the alloy mix for the blocks , as it reduces the cost of manufacture. He was of the opinion that after about 6-8 years of service life , that the internal corrosion level would be quite high , probably to the point of catastrophic failure. So far , I have not heard of any Japanese motors suffering from such a thing , perhaps time will tell.

Ross

Guest Big-Banana

I heard the same thing when we were in the market to buy an outboard. The boat we tested had a 150 and it was sluggish and pretty average, so that made our mind up. But there was a stall in the states which showcased a cut out motor, saying if you want to buy a outboard that corrodes buy a Honda.

You can either believe this or not , Im still undecided myself , but a certain reputable dealer of non Japanese engines explained to me that the Japanese are using a lot more copper in the alloy mix for the blocks , as it reduces the cost of manufacture. He was of the opinion that after about 6-8 years of service life , that the internal corrosion level would be quite high , probably to the point of catastrophic failure. So far , I have not heard of any Japanese motors suffering from such a thing , perhaps time will tell.

Ross

Its true what the dealer said. The problem is it was only true up until the early 1980's when the Japanese manufacturers responded and lowered the copper content of the alloy. Its amazing how the bad name can still stick after all that time.

Perhaps not so amazing since the comment came from a rival dealer.

I've had my Honda 40 for 2.5 years and the only prob EVER encountered was a dropped split pin in the throttle connection once which was fixed on the water with a long shank 1/0. There is not an ounce of corrosion on the motor and I've probably done about 300 hrs on it.

FLUSHED THOROUGHLY AFTER EVERY TRIP - that's the secret, and sprayed under the cover with Inox about once a month.

Beautiful quiet donk and very economical, but if ever I was to change brands I would go Yammie - equally as good.

Well there you go , I only got half the story !! Surely , you would think that a large manufacturer of outboards would be interested not only in the performance of their engines , but the longevity as well ! My outboard is 30 years old , and still runs well . One would hope that the Japanese engines , with a bit of common sense care , will last just as long .

ross

I have "heard" that Honda Outboards (even with their advanced corrosion protection that the company loves to sell it's product by) corrode quite badly in the salt water.

I have been given examples like "they are like a disprin in water."

Can anyone fill me in on their experiences with them and either confirm or deny these rumors as I believe they a truly fantastic engine and I am seriously thinking to buy one of these for my next outboard.

I was truly horrified at this!!! :1yikes:

Hello all, my 2 cents worth comes via a marine mechanic who happened to be working on a late model yammie when i asked or more appropriately suggested that yammies where a good engine. The mechanic replied dispondently that the only good yammies are the salt water series when i asked him why he explained very quietly that the blocks on yammies are to thin otherwise they would be an awsome engine.