Crystal Fireline

Blood Knot

Hi all -

Spooled up a new reel with 1.8kg Fireline Crystal and have been experience problems with the leader parting company with the braid at the knot. Have had this happen mid cast (which is very dispiriting) and more often than not when snagged and have to wrap the line around my wrist and pull till something gives. In the past the something that gave was the knot at the jig head or the hook straightening. I was previuosly spooled with non "Crystal" Fireline of the same braking strain.

Allways use the stren knot without problems in the past. Sort of recalled that Crystal Fireline was supposed to be of a smaller diameter than normal Fireline and was wondering if this has been contributing to cutting through the leader.

Put a micrometer on the Crystal Line 1.8kg it measured .12mm dia sample of older 1.8kg Fireline measured exactly the same so no difference there. 6lb Nitlon measures .22mm dia.

Am at a bit of a loss to explain my present probs, guess I will just start trying a few alternate knots till it improves.

Curious to know if any other Raiders have had simialr probs.

John

I've had the same problem with the odd batch of yellow fireline.

Sometimes you get a bad spool. Take it back to the tackle store you purchased it from. It won't be the first time it's happened & they should replace it. If they have a line tester then put it on it & see what it breaks at.

Sometimes just stripping 10mtrs of line off can fix it but then after it's used a couple of times the same problem occurs. It doesn't take long before you have to re-spool so see if you can replace it.

Cheers,

Grant.

Guest fishrunner

I'm using the 2lb crystal with a 4lb leader and am not having those drama's, If it pops on a snag it has mostly been at the jighead knot. I had a couple of wind knots early on but they seem to have worked themselves out and are now a thing of the past :biggrin2:

The knot I use is a spiderhitch to give a short double then a 5 turn surgeons knot for the braid to flouro. Tried the dbl uni with the spiderhitch as well and seemed to hold as well. ussually use the surgeons for ease and speed(my decky is ussually casting at MY snags, so gottta be quick :074: ).

This is thin line , the box say's .014 which is nothin, casts very well, very happy with it,- maybe I got a good batch :074:

cheers

Cheers for the advice guys, sounds like no one else is having any Crystal failure probs. So back to the shop for a chat me thinks. After having retied the leader 4 times in 2 session on Sunday arvo, then getting a huge take and run and reeling in leaderless line something has got to go (and I just bought the rod and reel and very happy with them so they are staying).

John