Snaps With Soft Plastics

kenmare

Hi guys,

I've a lot of lures. And I like to give them all a try.

But repeatedly cutting a lure off and then tying on a new one can be a pain -- it takes time and you continually shorten your fluorocarbon leader.

I've used the duolock type snap for bass and flathead fishing with hard body lures for years. Never had a problem.

Haven't tried them with soft plastics though, because even the small ones look so large and conspicuous when attached to a softie.

In a recent fishing mag article, I saw pics of extremely small snaps: Mustad easy snaps and Fas-snaps.

I thought they might work well with soft plastics.

Anyone tried them?

Regards,

Bob

I tend to stay away from snaps with sp's as I reckon they stuff the action of the placcy, you don't have to always cut the lure off only if your changing the jig head otherwise just pull off the sp and pop another on to the jig. I always carry spare leader material with me and it only takes a minute to attach and you wouldn't find your self doing more than once in a session.

I use no knot fas snaps fly clips mainly when I need to change jighead weights a lot or change from SP to HB or surface lure(dont own enough rods) The times when I dont use them is in very clear water when I drop down to very light jigheads small SPs and 4lb leaders

Ive tried the tiny snaps that come with bait jig and they seem to work ok, but as rob said they tend to ruin the action of the SP, if you using the same size softies just pull one off the jig head and put the other one on.... But i do understand your frustration of changing jig heads...its a pain in the ass!!

fly clips are the way to go if your constantly changing lures, I use the ones Iceman mentioned. I used to have a squid jig, then a metal lure, then a plastic going all day off the rocks with them, they handle rat kingies fine on the light gear.

Sorry for my ignorance, what are these fast snap clips?

is there a particular brand or size I should be looking for when using these?

Hi Kantong,

Refer my original post above.

They are small snaps, designed for securing a fly to leader without the need to tie knots when fly-fishing -- which is why they are so small, and often referred to as "fly clips".

As far as I'm aware there's only two brands: Mustad Easy Snaps and No Knot Fas Snaps.

Not all tackle shops stock them, but those that sell a lot of fly-fishing tackle probably will.

Regards,

Bob

Here's an enlarged pic. :biggrin2:

post-9-1161243383_thumb.jpg

I also use these ones on HB's after removing the split ring.

They are "Norman Speed Clips", a bit pricey but effective.

post-9-1161243828_thumb.jpg

I don't use these two types of clips exclusively as I also use other types but these to me are great for the smaller 2" - 3" SP's and smaller HB's.

Everyone has differing opinions on using or not using clips, I have no problems using a variety of clips in different situations and sometimes I don't use clips at all.

Give it a go for yourself, no other way to find out than giving it a go. :thumbup:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky