2 Piece Or One Piece Rods

George

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a rod at a tackle shop. i went yesterday and speaking to the guy he suggested at the maple evotech full grahphite 6'6 in length an 1 - 4kg in weight which is a two piece, was $300 down to $149.Now my question is should i get the 1 piece or 2 piece rod.

Nothing :mad3: me off more when you go to a tackle shop and they try sell you something they want to get rid off.

Some of your thoughts on 2 piece rods would be appreciated

Also there selling softies,3 packets for $20 bucks and 3 lures for $12 bucks and many more which i can't remember.

cheers

Hi guys,

One piece rods have the advantage of not having potential ferrule problems -- which used to be a big problem several decades ago, before fibre glass and graphite became the material of choice for fishing rods.

Glass and graphite rods now made using modern manufacturing techniques usually have very good ferrules built into the rod (although it still pays to check them before buying).

Other than for beach fishing (which puts a very heavy strain on the rod), I'm a fan of multiple piece rods. Most of my fly rods are four piece.

A multiple piece rod is much easier to transport and store -- which is when many rods actually get broken.

As a general rule, the more expensive the rod, the better the build quality and ferrules.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

word of warning, those maple rods are just cheap things at overinflated prices that the particular store rams down people's throats. Bet it was the first rod he showed you, bet he couldn't tell you when they stopped selling them for 300 either lol

(although i am scared that onebit will go flying off into the water)

Dont worry about it Fletch, it's only the tip, the flyline will stop it getting away :D

If you are really worried about it, just rub the male ferrule (no dirty jokes please :1naughty: ) with a little beeswax. Only a little is needed. Too much and you start attracting dirt.

Richie.

Dont worry about it Fletch, it's only the tip, the flyline will stop it getting away :D

If you are really worried about it, just rub the male ferrule (no dirty jokes please :1naughty: ) with a little beeswax. Only a little is needed. Too much and you start attracting dirt.

Richie.

Hi guys,

Suggest you go easy on that bees wax.

I can still recall the struggle I and a mate had when pulling his rod apart at the end of a day's fishing after he'd used bees wax on the ferrule.

IMHO a far better ferrule lubricant for fibreglass and graphite rods is candle wax. Works a treat.

Regards,

Bob

Is that maple rod from a fishing shop thats a guys name starting with F by any chance?

Cause I saw some too and wondered what they were like......

No comment. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

But he showed me quite a few rods and showed me the differences between them...

For some strange reason i've always thought that there not as strong as 1 piece

Might keep on looking.

No comment. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

But he showed me quite a few rods and showed me the differences between them...

For some strange reason i've always thought that there not as strong as 1 piece

Might keep on looking.

Hi I'll Comment!!! that store flogs Maple and Softies because they import them. This is not liable or defamation, because it is true!

Hi guys,

Suggest you go easy on that bees wax.

I can still recall the struggle I and a mate had when pulling his rod apart at the end of a day's fishing after he'd used bees wax on the ferrule.

IMHO a far better ferrule lubricant for fibreglass and graphite rods is candle wax. Works a treat.

Regards,

Bob

I've never used candle (parrafin) wax. Next time I come across a rod with a loose ferrule I'll give it a go.

I've only ever needed to use wax on one rod, only the eensy tiniest bit was needed. Use sparingly.

To answer the question... each section of a modern 2/3/4/5/6/7 piece rod is seperatly engineered to give the rod a smooth curve when all the pieces are joined. It's not just sawed in half :D

I'm not familiar with the brand of rod you refer to, but generally today the number of sections to a rod only really affect the portability and cost of a rod.

Richie.