Shimano Sedona 2500

Grantm

Gday fellas,

Looking to upgrade my crappy combos and get something a bit decent. Thought id start looking at reels.

Basic Bream setup im after but dont have much of a budget and im only a social fisho. I noticed the Shimano Sedona 2500 goes for abour $95 - $100.00.

What do you guys think of this reel as far as value for money and performance. Im after something half decent and reliable, will this do the job?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers :)

Edited by Grantm

mate, I'd be more inclined to go with a 1500 series. You will find that they are a lighter and smaller reel and will feel more comfortable in size to use

another option to consider would be the Daiwa Samurai 1500 7i and/or the Daiwa Caprice. They both retail around the $80-$100 mark and are value for money

Adam

Gday Grant,

Like you, when I started SP fishing, I seeked advice.

I was suggested by Ken to get a Okuma Epix 20 with fireline on it. Id have to say it is a great little reel, had no problems at all with it, nine bearings making it extra smooth, couldnt really ask for more in a beginners reel.

Regarding the price, Campbells have it for $140, but there is a store on ebay thats sells it around US$55. Add some postage and convert exchange rate and you could get it under AU$100

Cheers and good luck!

Shaun

Definately keep an eye out on ebay, this forum and others for second hand gear too. I was lucky enought to pick up two Stradic 1000s from bassifier a month or so ago for $80 a piece. They are in great condition, and were a real bargain. Much more bang for the buck than buying new.

Edited by wakd

Basic Bream setup im after but dont have much of a budget and im only a social fisho.

Thats sure to change! SP's are addictive mate! :P

If I were you. I'd try and get a good price on a complete combo. Tackle stores tend to discount these when bought in one hit.

If its strictly for Breaming...stick with the smaller reels. But if there is a chance that you may use it to chase other fish on a regular basis, then consider a compromise on the size and weight of the outfit to be able to handle differing situations.

As far as the Sedona goes, I would look at a couple of bucks more and try the Sahara. Or in the Okuma range, try the Epix!

Thanks Joe,

I think im starting to see what you mean about SP's once you start buying em you cant stop. I cant go into Big W without walkin out with a bag or two ! :-rolleyes

Ill check out the Sahara. As for the rod im determined to build one. Checking out the Rod Builders Club tonight to get some ideas.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Gday Guys,

Just a follow up on this one. Went and checked out the Sahara the other day at the local tackle shop.

The guy basically said it was a rubbish reel and id be back in a year getting a new one. He said as an entry point into the 1500 or 200 size reel I needed to buy a Shimano Navi at about $260.00 :1yikes: Anything less was a waste of money.

I checked out the Navi and yes it was very nice, but just too much for me.

I cant help but think these guys were just going for the upsell. I told the guy my situation and how much I fish etc, but he made me feel like a dickhead for looking at the Sahara, so he nothing out of me in the end. :1tongue:

RayP mentioned a 10 year warranty on the Sahara, is this true ? Are these Sahara's really that bad or was this guy being a knob beater ?

Cheers

:badair: What a knob, my sahara is a little gem for $99. If you only plan on using the reel for bream it will be more than enough, bream don't exactly put reels under a great deal of pressure. Mine will get a massive workout this summer on the dollies and stripies so by next year I will be able to tell you if it can handle bream. :icon_peace: And yes they do come with a 10yr warranty, but thats a bit of a crock really, can you imagine asking for a warranty repair on a reel after 10 years - the words wear and tear would be the reply from shimano no doubt. Edited by Bashir

I'll just add afew more cents worth in here if you don't mind Grant. :1clap:

I have a Sahara. Great little real. It handled some fair sized Sambos with no problems. I also have another little Daiwa which is more expensive (double the price and then some) and it is great also. I have no problem recommending the Sahara in that price range.

My brother has a Symetre that I bought for him about 8 months ago, and I have used it. It too is an awesome reel.

Having said all that...The Okhuma is a terrific reel. I have used the Avenger on my mates outfit and it works flawlessly, though it is a tad heavier. I also own a larger model in the Eclipz from Okhuma. Also a top reel, and has the added benefit of SS gearing so will not be as susseptible to corrision if does happen to swim!

I seriously can't flaw the drags on the Okhuma's considering their pricing! :thumbup:

Having said all that...The Okhuma is a terrific reel. I have used the Avenger on my mates outfit and it works flawlessly, though it is a tad heavier.

Thanks Joe,

If you subscribe to Fishing World at the moment you get a free Avenger reel :1clap: Maybe thats the go. :1prop:

Cheers

A great all rounder Grant is the symetre as suggested by Jo. It will stretch your budget a little but the difference is a big leap. I have 2 of them in the 2500 size and they r great for breamin' with light sticks, bassin' with medium sticks and small pelagics with medium/heavy sticks. I have suggested this reel to many people cause it lays line perfectly, is light and has good line capacity. they come with 2 different handle styles so check out which one u like. One is a small grip with fold back handle and the other is the larger grip like on the 4000 size. I prefer the older style small grip but ABA can only get them now with the new longer style so I purchased my last one through campbells at $149 including postage.

Edited by Rick T

Err yeah - big blue one !

19021[/snapback]

Yeah,

Typical

I went in there last year to buy an alvey for a jew rod I had been given, the guy tried his hardest to talk me out of it. Even suggested i get rid of this rod and buy another one.

Jeez, some of the guys in there are jerks!!

Guys final chapter,

Ended up going to my fav tackle shop and was determined to get something under $100.00 at this stage.

Unfortunatley they dont carry the Sahara or the Okuma's in that price range, so I had to go for something else.

I eneded up buying a Diawa Samuri-7I 2000 which I payed 90 bucks for. I dont know how this reel rates with everyone, but it shits all over my old stuff. Seems to have a good smooth drag, anti reverse, 5 bearings and this new ABS spool on it. The next step up from this reel seems to have an alloy body and probably better quality bearings and I couldnt really tell the difference until the reel price went to $230.00 and higher, although in time I might find out !

I think this will do me just fine for the time being as I just cant justify a higher price. One things for sure, its a massive step up for me and im happy as. :1clap:

I did look at the Symetre and it was really nice but just a bit out of budget, $150.00 I think. They did have it on a combo with a Squidgee Stick for $240.00 which seemed ok. Selling Sic Sticks for $120.00 ( should a got one ! )

Anyway thanks for all the advice, really apprecialte it. :icon_peace: