Bream On Lure

Steve Mc

When fishing with lures I don't have too much trouble (some days harder than others of course) catching flathead, bass, trout and yellowbelly but bloody bream..... I just can't do it. I have read thousands of articles and watched as many dvd's on it but I just can't do it. That is not totally true, I have managed 3 in the past on an unweighted squidgey bug, but for all the times that I have tried 3 is an ordinary result. It is not that I am in the wrong places because there have been plenty of times when I can't get a touch on a lure but as soon as I drop over a live nipper the bites go mad.

So what I would like to know is, are you catching plenty of bream on lure, or in those magazines do they catch them on a nipper or worm or whatever then quickly get the 'photo outfit', shove the sponsors brand of lure in and take the photo? Alternatively, at lure fishing for bream, I am crap. :thumbdown:

what other lures are you using? just the bugs...?

ive had heaps of sucess on ecogear sx40s, jackall chubbys, rapala jointed shad raps & RMG scorpion 35s to name a few....

im not sure how much youve used HBs but perhaps give some of those a go, or any other smallish (between about 35mm & 70mm) minnow or shad lures a go

cheers mate & tight lines,

Macca

...............there have been plenty of times when I can't get a touch on a lure but as soon as I drop over a live nipper the bites go mad.

If you are fishing with SP's slow your retrieve down for bream, especially more so if using anything from the gulp range.

When using a live nipper you aren't retrieving the nipper back, it's just sitting there bobbing around twitching his tail and attracting an inquisitive bream to him. The same needs to be done with a plastic lure. Give it time to get in the strike zone, it may take 5 - 10 seconds or sometimes more, depending on jig size, to sink to where the SP is effective after casting and hitting the water. Once you feel the plastic is where you want it, then start to "work" the lure depending on the type, it may mean just little twitches in the same spot (for worm types) or it may be a case of bigger twitches and small jerking actions as is the case with minnow type plastics.

Most importantly, most of the time, is to slow down your retrieves when using most plastics for bream and even when using some HB's as well. :biggrin2:

I'm no expert but I do find that this has helped me along the way when bream fishing.

Hope it helps you out. :thumbup:

EDIT: You can watch DVD's on fishing till the cows come home but time spent on the water using that info in a practical sense is much better.............obviously. :biggrin2:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooiky

Edited by Hooky.

Hey Stevo,

I have had good success with the berkley bass minnows 3" and 2" in watermelon and pumpkinseed. gulp fry works well in discoloured dirty water.try to use as light jighead as you can (1/20ox or 1/32oz). use light line 4lb fireline and 6lb leader on a nice good quality graphite rod (1-3kg). sometimes you ahve to fish the plastic like bait.

With Hardbodies, Yes I agree slow retreive with the rod tip down , along the edge of the structure not at it.

don't be worried if its shallow water, thats where they are.

try some proven HB's

-manns 5+ in grey ghost colour and mother of pearl.

-jackall tiny fry in white/silver colours

-ecogear sx40, blue gill colour works well

Goodluck and let me know how you go.

drdonjuan9

:1fishing1: