Hook Snelling

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Ive got the hang of snelling hooks, however I want to be able to snell a 2 hook rig instead of having the hook run freely on the line. But everytime I snell the top hook I cant move it along the line even with a great amount of pressure. Any ideas?

Guest danielinbyron

Ive got the hang of snelling hooks, however I want to be able to snell a 2 hook rig instead of having the hook run freely on the line. But everytime I snell the top hook I cant move it along the line even with a great amount of pressure. Any ideas?

i just leave a long tag to the first snell and terminate that..with a uni or fishermans knot

Hey Guys,

I'm also interested in this.

I thought there was a rig called a "running Snell rig" where the top hook would slide up and down. The application is when live baiting squid, you can move the top hook up and down to suit the length of your squid.

I currently use a two hook rig with the top hook snelled with a long tag and the bottom hook tied off with a blood knot (as mentioned above).

I'm sure I saw in a DVD where some blokes were fishing Botany Bay and they said they had a running hook rig for their live squid - the top hook could be adjusted to the length of the squid with the bottom hook fixed????? I dunno - not sure now.

Cheers

David.

Ask james how to tie snells.... he uses granny knots!! :074:

James also drives boats into jetties and mud banks, services his own outboard only to have it run worst than prior to the service plus loses live fibre rods overboard. I would make my own knot up before asking him. :1prop::tease::074:

But is a good bloke to have a :beersmile: with

I know what you mean Big B. I use one every now and again and have learnt it by trial and error.

Firstly I dont tie the leader to the mainline, i tie the rig first.

I slide the sliding hook for the rig on first with just a bit on trace line hanging out the end.

I then use a second piece of line abour 10 inches long and form a loop where the line runs along the hook shank

Using the loop i tie 7 or 8 half hitches along the hook and trace line basically wrapping the trace line to the hook, Pull it down tight and its done. The main line slides through the wraps depending on hard you pull it down. Its a hard thing to tie but it works.

Pull the trace line through to the desired lenght and tie the end hook on.

Attach the trace to the main line.

Make sense ?

Guest danielinbyron

page 9 geoff wilsons complete book of fishing knots big b {sliding snell}

this uses the common snell { twisting loop snell} which is different to the simple snell

on the top hook use slightly lighter line than your trace about a foot or so should do it

with this DONT pass through the eye and only do a few of twists of the loop around the hook,

leave the slack loop at the bottom or hold it in place

then with your trace pass through the eye of the top hook then the left over loop and finish the first snell

pull the trace through and do a common snell on the bottom hook.

the theory

by bipassing the eye of the top hook with the lighter line your just using the line as a kind of a tight sleeve over the shaft of the hook..so swordy is right about the "can't budge a snell"

\but the eye of hook is the lock,

its made safe though as on the second pass with your trace goes through that eye..

cheers d

Edited by danielinbyron

Guest Big-Banana

Yeah guys, I want the top hook to move under pressure. But Snelling it stops that happening. The sliding snell is harder then I thought it would be... :wacko:

big-banana

I am not sure I understand you

Do you want the top hook to move or not?

What are you after with the rig?

What size hooks are you using and what diameter is the line?

There are a couple of ways to do this rig.

cheers

inhlanzi

I want the top hook to move

Using 8/0 and its 50lb mono so about 1mm

Iam gonna try this and see how I go. http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrig...idingsnell.html

Iam looking at using the uni knot for the snell knot.

Thanks for all the replies

Guest Big-Banana

Ive had a play with it and Ive got the hang of it! Thanks everyone, much simpler when using a separate bit of line for the snell.

:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks again everyone!