Cb Radios For Boats ?

hustler57

hey there fellow :1fishing1:

well summer is almost upon us and i think its time to upgrade my little old twitchy 27meg radio for a new 27meg radio.

what are the 2 types of radios for boats i know one is 27meg but what is the other one ??

and what is the best brand to go for ??

hey rzep

i have got an old 27meg in there at the moment, but im looking to put in a new 27meg and a vhf as well as i plan on doing a lot of outside fishing this year, i would of thought that the vhf would of got more range then the 27meg ??? why

ok thanks so then i guess vhf is better for me to install in my boat then ???im just really really concern about safety when it comes to fishing outside as ive seen first hand how quickly the water can change and just how bad it can be and since i wanna head out to the shelf in a few months i need to know that if anything goes wrong i have my 27megs and my vhf radio and my epirb

HF (High Frequency) = 3MHz-30MHz

VHF ( Very High Frequency) = 30MHz-300MHZ

UHF ( Ultra High Frequency) = 300MHz-3.0GHz

UHF frequencies have higher attenuation from atmospheric moisture and benefit less from 'bounce', or the reflection of signals off the ionosphere back to earth, when compared to VHF frequencies. The frequencies of 300-3000 MHz are always at least an order of magnitude above the MUF (Maximum Usable Frequency). The MUF for most of the earth is generally between 25-35 MHz. Higher frequencies also benefit less from ground mode transmission. However, the short wavelengths of UHF frequencies allow compact receiving antennas with narrow elements; many people consider them less ugly than VHF-receiving models .

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager

i have both 27meg and VHF, to use as a backup... VHF is the way to go if you are going offshore, i installed one when i got my new boat before i took it out to browns mountain, 35km offshore. i had contact with the shore all the way out clear as day, i was also getting FM radio clear as day. i understand 27meg loses range a few km outside of the heads.

Hustler,

The other type is the vhf.

If you are going off shore then the 27mhz has the longer range.

Mate its the other way around,

VHF is use for offshore as it has an approx 45 km range and 27 meg is use for in shore as it works off line of sight (about 3 kms)

If you are looking at doing inshore and only close to shore fishing say within 3kms then get the 27 meg, if you plan to go out beyond 20kms ( no mobile service) then definately go the VHF.

UHF is a toltal different kettle of fish and is not used by rec fishos too often.

I have 27meg and Satelite ph on the boat,

Sat ph has reception anywhere on the globe,be it

out on the water or outback Australia.

My 4wd has UHF,so im pretty well covered.

:beersmile: penguin

Edited by penguin

hey rzep

i have got an old 27meg in there at the moment, but im looking to put in a new 27meg and a vhf as well as i plan on doing a lot of outside fishing this year, i would of thought that the vhf would of got more range then the 27meg ??? why

Legally you are required to have a VHF radio if you are 2NM or more out to sea, 27 Meg and mobiles do not count.

VHF also requires a licensed operator to be on board, but not neccacerilly the person calling, i.e. the Mrs can call ship to ship if you are at the helm (and licensed) and she is below at the nav table.

You will also need to take into consideration other safety requirements for the vessel you are in when off shore such as flares, PDFs, EPIRB water ECT.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Legally you are required to have a VHF radio if you are 2NM or more out to sea, 27 Meg and mobiles do not count.

This in fact is not true.

You are legally required to have a radio (either HF, VHF or 27 MHz) when more then 2 nm out to sea.

Here is the link for the Waterways safety page.

Waterways

• 2 weeks later...

It blows me out that there has just been a whole lot of misinformation on very important safety equipment, in amongst a few who actually did know what they were taling about.

I will not begin to tell you what sort of radio you need for your purposes. My only suggestion is that if you want to be a boatie and be "seaman-like" do a course with RVCP. You will need it to legally operate anything but a 27 meg which is pretty much just a toy used by fishos to tell each other where the fish are. There is a fair bit to know about their operation so don't go in half assed.

davo

From the Maritime Services webpage :

A Description of Coastal Radio Network Services

27MHz

27 MHz is the main frequency used by recreational boaters and the volunteer services because of its low cost (approximately $200) and its suitability for use in enclosed waters where the majority of recreational boaters operate. This radio provides a range of 10 -15 nautical miles which is usually limited to line of sight.

27 MHz radios allow ship to ship communication between other users of this frequency and ship to shore communication with the volunteer services. 27MHz radios are capable of transmitting distress alerts, receiving weather forecasts and marine safety information provided that the vessel is operating within the coverage area and times of the volunteer services.

VHF

The VHF radios have a better range and clarity than 27 Mhz radios but are more expensive (approximately $400). The Uniform Shipping Laws (USL) Code states that effective VHF coverage only extends to 20 nautical miles from a shore station but may be as far as 30 nautical miles under some circumstances.

VHF also allows ship to ship communication between vessels using a VHF radio and ship to shore communications with the volunteer services and the three port corporations. This radio is therefore capable of transmitting distress alerts, receiving weather forecasts and marine safety information.

A certificate from the Australian Communications Authority is still required to use VHF radio on boats in Australia. Marine radio users can either obtain a Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP) or a Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP) to meet this requirement.

However, VHF radio is now covered by a Class Licence, so marine radio users do not need to obtain (and pay for) a separate radio licence.

Ross

You gotta have 2 radios if you are serious about off shore fishing and 2 batteries and an epirb. The 27 meg radio is OK but you'll get a lot of static from motors etc. VHF is much better but you need to get a licence to operate one. People like the Coast guard hold courses for them. Both are line of sight radios and their range depends on the height of the antenna. They are restricted in power by law as you don't want one set to literally block all the other signals.

BUt the LONGEST range is HF and MF. THese things can get you range measured in the 100's or 1000's of KM's. The radio waves bounce off the atmosphere. Used in large ships and yachts going overseas. You need a licence to use them as well.

ONly australia uses the 27 meg. This was Dick Smiths idea and he made a fortune. The 27 meg frequency is in the HF band but it is no good for atmospheric bounce so no one used them . Occasionally you will get some bounce but not often. The loop hole allowed Dick Smith to sell these without licences.

WIth epribs the current analogue ones are going to be replaced with digital 406's so worth while to spend a bit more for the new one and they work faster. CHeers KElvin