Kingies And Everything Eats Squid In Pittwater!

namesay

I just hope those guys with the nets just leave this place alone. :mad3: I didn't see too many people getting kingies on Sunday and a LOT of floating weed around. Could be the pros dragging their nets on the bottom or just the conditions. I just hope the kingies stay around the moorings away from the nets.Cheers Kelvin

You are SOOO right. cheers Kelvin

Yes, i am also very suspicious of the amount of suspended weed about in the water of lately, still undecided in what cuasing it though, all the kings i have come across are in the bays and around the moorings so hopefully they are out smarting these mongrels!!

I know people have to eat fish but the pros have the rest of the bloody pacific ocean to rape and plunder. These precious inshore waters are too valuable to just let the pros to take EVERYTHING in one hit. I just hope aquaculture comes on stream real quick so that we can have these fish to ourselves and for our kids in the future. cheers Kelvin

I just hope those guys with the nets just leave this place alone. :mad3: I didn't see too many people getting kingies on Sunday and a LOT of floating weed around. Could be the pros dragging their nets on the bottom or just the conditions. I just hope the kingies stay around the moorings away from the nets.Cheers Kelvin

You are SOOO right. cheers Kelvin

:dito: on the weed - it was everywhere sunday- couldnot troll lures it was that bad

Namesay, do you drift for squid, and for the kingies - how deep do you set the bomb, sorry for all the question only recently got a downrigger and would like to learn how to use it properly

Edited by Aron

Yeah I try to drift when I am squidding. You cover a lot more water that way but if the wind is bad then anchoring also works. Berley also works for squid.

As to the places where you catch squid in pitty? The squid spots are no secrets. They are around the wharves, jetties, drop offs, bays etc. Try to find an area of water between 2-8 meters with a bit of weed or reef. Squid will turn up . If you don't get anything in 10-15 mintues move on. Like any type of fishing look for structure and bait. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

:dito: on the weed - it was everywhere sunday- couldnot troll lures it was that bad

Namesay, do you drift for squid, and for the kingies - how deep do you set the bomb, sorry for all the question only recently got a downrigger and would like to learn how to use it properly

It seems like downrigging is all the rage! I have been asked this question so many times but here I go again!!

WIth kingies they can be anywhere in the water column. In the deeper reefs they can be 100m or more down. In the coming months many fish will be right on the surface. Often you will spot kingies on the sounder and they may be hanging at say 20meters but may not be feeding at this depth.

THe advantage of a downrigger is that you can TROLL ( max 2knots with squid ) your baits and lures at a precise depth. That is all it does. You can get a large sinker to do this job but the depth control is not there. Before getting a downrigger a few years ago, I used to use a float and set the depth precisely like fishing for blackfish. Caught HEAPS of kingies that way but you can't troll using this method.

Anyway a good start is to downrig at mid water. If the water is 20 meters deep then try 10 meters and work from there. With kingies it is much better to set your baits shallower than deeper most of the time as kingies willingly feed on the surface.

When the kings are ON around Barrenjoey for instance, you will get many more fish fishing right on the surface as you will down deep. I normally have a surface bait and set my downrigger for 4 meters and no more. But if you have a couple of downriggers ( I have 3 but usually use only 1 ) in your boat you should experiment with depths and baits. Everyday is different with kingies so doesn't hurt to try ANYTHING! CHeers Kelvin

what sort of burely gets the squid going?

never thought of burleying for them

CFD

Squid respond to most types of burly apart from squid of course. I don't know if the burley attracts the squid or the bait fish that the squid feed on but when it is windy and you can't drift then this is a great technique to bring the squid to you. Normally you will score 3 or 4 before they wise up . That is enough for bait but if you need more then move to another spot and burley them up again.

Most squid areas also harbour LOTS of bait fish. I find that the squid hang around the edges of the baitfish schools when they come for the burley. I also find that tuna oil is fantastic for squid... but not too much. cheers Kelvin